Trap DE while backwashing?

There are pieces of equipment you can add after your filter in order to separate the DE out. Or just switch to cellulose fiber instead of DE end you can backwashed right into your grass.

Where I live in the DFW area, the City requirement is that you must put your DE waste output into the sewage drain. Putting it in the storm drain is not allowed. The reason that I have a cartridge filter, on my new pool, is because the City would not allow a DE filter unless it was plumbed into the house waste drain system. My two other pools have DE filters, and I find that I don't backwash them much, if at all. I find it easier to just break the filter apart about twice a year and that seems to keep everything in check. When I break the filter down, I just hose the old DE right on the lawn. I've been doing this for several years and have seen no ill effects to the grass, both Bermuda and St. Augustine.

Jim R.

I just did some googling on diatomaceous earth and I never realized how nasty it is...if it really is. I used to use it in my aquarium canister filters way back in my teen years and I sure don't recall any dire warnings or anything. I agree: Weird.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.