Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Trap DE while backwashing?

1. Back To Top    #1

Trap DE while backwashing?

Is there a way to trap (catch, capture, collect) DE sand while backwashing? I don't want it to go into my storm water drain system or on my grass. Is it bad for the grass? I have St. Augustine.

thanks,

ed
    4k, IG, Gunnite, Jandy Valve, 1HP Haywood, 2" flow, single 2" line for skimming & vacuum, Pentair FNSP 36 DE w/125 GPM Multiport 50 PSI, TF-100 Test Kit, built 1991, Hilton Head, SC

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Trap DE while backwashing?

There are pieces of equipment you can add after your filter in order to separate the DE out. Or just switch to cellulose fiber instead of DE end you can backwashed right into your grass.
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

3. Back To Top    #3

I added a Hayward separator tank to my waste line, Pro-Grid DE Separation Tank | Filters | In Ground Pool Filters - Hayward Pool Products. It does a good job at collecting the DE maybe 99% of it or so.
    16k gal plaster with raised spa, Jandy DEV60 filter, 2 HP 2-speed SHPF Jandy Stealth pump
    Hayward Aqua Rite T-15 SWCG, Jandy LXi 400k BTU NG heater, 350 sq.ft. of Sun Star solar panels, TF-100 Test Kit, Dolphin s300i Cleaner
    Test Kits . Pool Math . Chlorine/CYA Chart . The SLAM Process

4. Back To Top    #4

TFP Guide

Can you then reuse it? Or are the pores full of stuff? If the pores are full, then why worry about it going down drain or on lawn?
    Bob - Palm Beach by San Juan Pools. approx 5000 gals., Pentair 320 cartridge filter (all new guts installed by me), Goldline SWG, 'New to me' Kreepy Krauly Sand Shark, Intermec 104 Timer Test kit: TF-100 w/Speed Stir

5. Back To Top    #5

Where I live in the DFW area, the City requirement is that you must put your DE waste output into the sewage drain. Putting it in the storm drain is not allowed. The reason that I have a cartridge filter, on my new pool, is because the City would not allow a DE filter unless it was plumbed into the house waste drain system. My two other pools have DE filters, and I find that I don't backwash them much, if at all. I find it easier to just break the filter apart about twice a year and that seems to keep everything in check. When I break the filter down, I just hose the old DE right on the lawn. I've been doing this for several years and have seen no ill effects to the grass, both Bermuda and St. Augustine.

Jim R.
    Finished in 2015 - 17K Gal, IG, 20' x 25' Almost Rectangular Pool, Pebble finish, three rockport water falls. Pentair Equipment: EasyTouch 4, IC40 SWG, 3 HP VS Pump, CCP520 Cartridge Filter.
    TF100 with SpeedStir and SampleSizer, ColorQ Pro 7, Dolphin Premier Robot Cleaner, added Screen Logic 2, added small 3 person Calder Spa.

6. Back To Top    #6

TFP Guide

Quote Originally Posted by pabeader View Post
    Can you then reuse it? Or are the pores full of stuff? If the pores are full, then why worry about it going down drain or on lawn?
    Because pool DE is a carcinogen.

Dom
    Dom - TFP Guide
    Intex 18' X 48" Ultra Frame AGP 6700 gallons | Two Intex CS8110 SWG's | Hayward Pro Series 21" Sandfilter | Hayward 1.5HP Power Flo Matrix pump | Hayward Thru-wall Skimmer | Wanda the Whale | 72 sq ft of Sungrabber Solar Panels with Hayward GLC-2P-A | Taylor K2006 Test Kit, Sample Sizer & Speed Stir | Click Here To Become a TFP Supporter!

7. Back To Top    #7

TFP Guide

Weird.
    Bob - Palm Beach by San Juan Pools. approx 5000 gals., Pentair 320 cartridge filter (all new guts installed by me), Goldline SWG, 'New to me' Kreepy Krauly Sand Shark, Intermec 104 Timer Test kit: TF-100 w/Speed Stir

8. Back To Top    #8

In the Industry

You need a separation tank to catch the DE. Inside it is a bag that catches the DE, removeable, and after cleaning, is reinstalled.

9. Back To Top    #9

I just did some googling on diatomaceous earth and I never realized how nasty it is...if it really is. I used to use it in my aquarium canister filters way back in my teen years and I sure don't recall any dire warnings or anything. I agree: Weird.
    ----Chris----
    25k IG/Spa Figure 8, 18x36, Pebble Sheen Blue Granite, Sta-Rite S8M150 Cartridge Filter, Pentair 460805 400k BTU Heater & 011018 IntelliFlo VarSpd
    Liquidator, Fafco Solar Heat, Polaris PB460 Booster Pump w/280 cleaner, Katchaleaf Cover, TF100 Test Kit, FAKE MAIN DRAIN

10. Back To Top    #10

Quote Originally Posted by domct203 View Post
    Because pool DE is a carcinogen.

Dom
    i wonder if that is true everywhere or just California.
    TFP Moderator 39 X 18 23,000(ish) freeform gunite; built 2007ish; Pentair Triton II TR100 600lb Sand filter; 2 HP Pentair pump with 2.2 HP AO Smith single speed motor; 2 skimmers, 1 main drain, 4 returns w/waterfall, Stenner 45MHP2 3GPD running@ 60% - 15 gal Tank; heated by the sun CYA 200+ when I started - 50 now. Dolphin Supreme M5 Pool Cleaner. Hot Springs SX Spa, 285 gallon

11. Back To Top    #11

It's not toxic like a poison. It's a health risk if breathed in over long periods where the lungs get clogged and damaged similar to asbestos damage.

12. Back To Top    #12

TFP Guide

Quote Originally Posted by tim5055 View Post
    i wonder if that is true everywhere or just California.
    I'm pretty sure it's a carcinogen everywhere

I have a curious dog and would worry about long-term backwashing of DE where she might be sniffing around for years.

Dom
    Dom - TFP Guide
    Intex 18' X 48" Ultra Frame AGP 6700 gallons | Two Intex CS8110 SWG's | Hayward Pro Series 21" Sandfilter | Hayward 1.5HP Power Flo Matrix pump | Hayward Thru-wall Skimmer | Wanda the Whale | 72 sq ft of Sungrabber Solar Panels with Hayward GLC-2P-A | Taylor K2006 Test Kit, Sample Sizer & Speed Stir | Click Here To Become a TFP Supporter!

13. Back To Top    #13

Because of the potential health risks of DE (as noted above), I switched over to cellulose about 5 years ago and have not had any issues. I use Fiber Clear.
    V/r,

Bryan
    15K Gunite; Pentair FNS Plus 48 - DE, Pentair Superflo VS, Raypak 2100 heater, Stenner 45MHP10 /w 15 gallon tank, TF-100

14. Back To Top    #14

I switched to Ecoklean because of health and environmental concerns and I couldn't be happier. I see a noticeable difference in water clarity.
    16x32 IG rectangular 21,800k new vinyl liner 2014, Triton II TR 50 sand Filter, Pentair 3/4 hsp whisperflow pump, 3 returns, TF100 test kit w/speedstir. Maytronics s 300i robot.