Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Calculating my pool volume - or - Geometry is fun!

1. Back To Top    #1

Calculating my pool volume - or - Geometry is fun!

For years I have wanted to do a precise calculation of the gallon size of my pool. I've used many online calculators and have gotten about as many different estimates as there are calculators out there. The answer doesn't matter that much, I just really wanted to figure it out, do the math, and let that section of my brain get a little excersize.

I found an old schematic of my pool with dimensions, which makes it pretty easy. Yes, the pool is not going to match the schematic exactly, and none of the sides are perfectly straight, and none of the corners are truly square.

The following calculations assume 36" of water fill in the shallow end.

Whew. Roughly 29,000 gallons.
    Furthermore, I calculated each inch of fill adds about 494 gallons. I always wondered about that.

-R
    29,085.1 gal inground grecian vinyl, Hayward Super Pump VS, Hayward S-240 sand filter, Dolphin Nautilus Plus (aka Agador Spartacus), Taylor K-2006 kit, nice pool brush, crappy leaf net, frogs

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Calculating my pool volume - or - Geometry is fun!

You could also try chemical methods of determining volume such as:

http://www.poolhelp.com/ChemicallyDe...oolVolumes.pdf
    Joel - TFP Moderator - Minnesota - **Become a TFP Supporter!** Helpful Links: ABCs of Pool Water Chemistry - SLAM Procedure - Chlorine/CYA Chart
    40x20 Pool: 32K Gallons * Vinyl * Bleach Chlorination * Hayward S270T Sand Filter * Pentair SuperFlo 1 HP * Teledyne/Laars Heater * AquaVac Tigershark * TF-100 w/ SpeedStir
    Isolated Spa - 345 Gallons

3. Back To Top    #3

TFP Guide

Quote Originally Posted by JVTrain View Post

That's pretty cool! Thanks for posting.

Do you have the "Simplified Formula Numbers" chart as well? You can't do the calculations without it.

Dom

Dom - TFP Guide
    Intex 18' X 48" Ultra Frame AGP 6700 gallons | Two Intex CS8110 SWG's | Hayward Pro Series 21" Sandfilter | Hayward 1.5HP Power Flo Matrix pump | Hayward Thru-wall Skimmer | Wanda the Whale | 72 sq ft of Sungrabber Solar Panels with Hayward GLC-2P-A | Taylor K2006 Test Kit, Sample Sizer & Speed Stir | Click Here To Become a TFP Supporter!

4. Back To Top    #4

I think I'll find a pretty darn good estimate when I get the water bill for my complete fill-up 6 weeks ago!!! ugh....
    ----Chris----
    25k IG/Spa Figure 8, 18x36, Pebble Sheen Blue Granite, Sta-Rite S8M150 Cartridge Filter, Pentair 460805 400k BTU Heater & 011018 IntelliFlo VarSpd
    Liquidator, Fafco Solar Heat, Polaris PB460 Booster Pump w/280 cleaner, Katchaleaf Cover, TF100 Test Kit, FAKE MAIN DRAIN

5. Back To Top    #5

TFP Guide

if you want to have some real fun, use calculus!!
    Bob - Palm Beach by San Juan Pools. approx 5000 gals., Pentair 320 cartridge filter (all new guts installed by me), Goldline SWG, 'New to me' Kreepy Krauly Sand Shark, Intermec 104 Timer Test kit: TF-100 w/Speed Stir

6. Back To Top    #6

Quote Originally Posted by domct203 View Post
    That's pretty cool! Thanks for posting.

Do you have the "Simplified Formula Numbers" chart as well? You can't do the calculations without it.

Dom
    Forgot that part...
    http://www.poolhelp.com/SimplifiedFormulaNumbers.pdf

This one is on that site too, but not sure if needed.
    http://www.poolhelp.com/SimplifiedDosageFormulas.pdf
    Joel - TFP Moderator - Minnesota - **Become a TFP Supporter!** Helpful Links: ABCs of Pool Water Chemistry - SLAM Procedure - Chlorine/CYA Chart
    40x20 Pool: 32K Gallons * Vinyl * Bleach Chlorination * Hayward S270T Sand Filter * Pentair SuperFlo 1 HP * Teledyne/Laars Heater * AquaVac Tigershark * TF-100 w/ SpeedStir
    Isolated Spa - 345 Gallons

7. Back To Top    #7

Quote Originally Posted by pabeader View Post
    Mmmmmm, integrating over the pool volume. That would require a triple integral!!!! YUM!!
    ----Chris----
    25k IG/Spa Figure 8, 18x36, Pebble Sheen Blue Granite, Sta-Rite S8M150 Cartridge Filter, Pentair 460805 400k BTU Heater & 011018 IntelliFlo VarSpd
    Liquidator, Fafco Solar Heat, Polaris PB460 Booster Pump w/280 cleaner, Katchaleaf Cover, TF100 Test Kit, FAKE MAIN DRAIN

8. Back To Top    #8

Quote Originally Posted by pabeader View Post
    Integral or differential? I think I may have used calculus one time in real life. I don't remember what I used it for, but I was so happy to finally use something from those 3 semesters.

- - - Updated - - -

You hope. Same feeling I get when they deliver heating oil.
    Quote Originally Posted by Agent99 View Post
    I think I'll find a pretty darn good estimate when I get the water bill for my complete fill-up 6 weeks ago!!! ugh....
    29,085.1 gal inground grecian vinyl, Hayward Super Pump VS, Hayward S-240 sand filter, Dolphin Nautilus Plus (aka Agador Spartacus), Taylor K-2006 kit, nice pool brush, crappy leaf net, frogs

9. Back To Top    #9

Only 3 semesters? You missed out on Diff-Eq (Differential Equations)!!! LOL

Heating oil...I've heard of that stuff....
    ----Chris----

10. Back To Top    #10

I had Diff-Eq. Another waste of time in my young life. Thanks for reminding me. Most of grad school memory cells have been repurposed, or killed off by alcohol because they were weak and deserved to die.

Quote Originally Posted by Agent99 View Post
    Only 3 semesters? You missed out on Diff-Eq (Differential Equations)!!! LOL

Heating oil...I've heard of that stuff....

11. Back To Top    #11

TFP Guide

I WAS eating popcorn!! Now I'm picking it off my computer screen and the folks here at work are looking at me that way, again.
    Bob - Palm Beach by San Juan Pools. approx 5000 gals., Pentair 320 cartridge filter (all new guts installed by me), Goldline SWG, 'New to me' Kreepy Krauly Sand Shark, Intermec 104 Timer Test kit: TF-100 w/Speed Stir

12. Back To Top    #12

Do you mean try chemical methods to check if the chemical method is accurate?

Quote Originally Posted by JVTrain View Post