Pool remodel in FL

Doggo

Aug 9, 2015
ocala fl
Let me start off by saying this is my first pool, and it came with a house I recently purchased. I've been browsing the forum the past couple months to try to learn, and there is some amazing information on here. I thought I would start a thread to get some input from you more knowledgeable people as the process evolves. I have attached a photo of the "before" (I'm not sure the best way to attach photos for this forum). The pool is poured concrete from the mid 70s. There is one skimmer and two returns (very simple plumbing- one pipe from the pool, 2 returning). The pool is ~ 45' long, and 15' at the narrowest to 22' at the widest. The shallow end is ~3' and the deep end is a dish that goes from ~6' to 8'+. The plan is to resurface the pool in diamandbrite, replace the tile (go from 12" to 6"), and replace the cap with travertine. My plan after the pool was complete was to cover the existing concrete patio with travertine pavers on a sand bed to bring the deck and coping level.

Cleaner- I talked to several pool companies and most recommended adding a suction line for a cleaner with a booster pump. After reading on here, it seems the consensus is that a robot is better, and I don't think I need to add this line. Do people agree? I was leaning toward a dolphin triton plus.

This pool is way bigger than I need, and I got to thinking that what I would like is one of those baja shelves. So, I talked to the PB and we decided to turn that extension off the deep end into a shelf. It will be approximately 7'x24'. Right now the skimmer is approx half way down the long side of the pool, and the 2 returns are on either side of it (the darker tiles in the photo). The plan was to add a third return at the far end of the pool that would be centered on the shelf. I know with a new build with this size pool there would probably be more plumbing, but at the same time what's here seems to have worked for decades. Well, not decades, there was originally copper plumbing that was replaced with PVC at some point. There are some more plumbing questions I might have in the future but I'll leave it at that for now.

Lighting- there are currently no lights in the pool which is a huge problem for me. My plan is to add 3 globrite lights, 2 spaced along the length in the left of the picture, and one at the far end facing back toward the shallow end. I asked the PB about putting one on the shelf, but he recommended placing one on the opposite side facing the shelf for better lighting. I found a few photos on here to try to get an idea about what would work with these lights, but it's a little hard to tell and I know there's some subjectivity as well.

Automation/electronics- My plan was to buy an easytouch system (4 channel) to run an IC60 and the globrite lights. I have a single speed pump, and could be convinced to replace it, although the PB hasn't suggested that I do so.

Patio wall- right now the patio is fenced with this white painted cinder block. It's not really my thing, but it's a look and it's FL, so I'm OK with it (although I'm in central FL and it looks more like Miami). Any thoughts or suggestions to either replace or change the look of this wall? There is about a 3' drop on the other side of the wall, and there are shrubs that add privacy. One thing I like about the current wall is that it adds more privacy than say a metal rail would.

Thanks for all the advice so far, I can't wait for this project to be complete!

Sandblast off paint- complete
Remove current cap- complete
Add baja shelf- in process

pool 2.jpg
pool drained.jpg

I have a robot and love it, yet I still had them install a suction side pipe to the pool. Not sure I'll ever use it, but it cost next to nothing to install during the pool build, but would be impossible to install later.

Since you are having an Easytouch installed, I suggest you dump your single speed pump and get an Intelliflo VS pump, just because it makes sense to do it now, during your remodel, rather than later. Just make sure they install it with couplings and not directly to your plumbing. If I had not already had the couplings, my PB would have just hard plumbed in place. Sigh!!

I'm not a fan of baja shelves, but I've go to admit they look really cool when they have a couple of bubblers in them If they are adding the shelf, now is the time to add the bubblers.

And finally, I'd ask about the ladder and grab bar by the stairs. I have zero expertise in this area, so I may be way off base, but are they compatible with a salt water pool? If so great, but if not, now is the time to find out.

Thanks,

Jim R.

Regarding the wall- it works for the space and privacy but you're right, the color does *not* work. I would take it down to an earth tone and see if that helps it not stand out as much.
I see all that greenery around the back and it reminds me of how at the Augusta National Golf Club (where they play The Masters) small privacy fences and huts around the course are painted a very deep gray-green. Its quite a remarkable color (and obviously very customized) because everything blends in to the grounds and almost disappears. Just something to consider.

Regarding the wall- it works for the space and privacy but you're right, the color does *not* work. I would take it down to an earth tone and see if that helps it not stand out as much.
I see all that greenery around the back and it reminds me of how at the Augusta National Golf Club (where they play The Masters) small privacy fences and huts around the course are painted a very deep gray-green. Its quite a remarkable color (and obviously very customized) because everything blends in to the grounds and almost disappears. Just something to consider.

haha is it Disney Go Away Green? Google it. It is a paint color that Disney uses when they want to hide stuff.

I have a robot and love it, yet I still had them install a suction side pipe to the pool. Not sure I'll ever use it, but it cost next to nothing to install during the pool build, but would be impossible to install later.

Since you are having an Easytouch installed, I suggest you dump your single speed pump and get an Intelliflo VS pump, just because it makes sense to do it now, during your remodel, rather than later. Just make sure they install it with couplings and not directly to your plumbing. If I had not already had the couplings, my PB would have just hard plumbed in place. Sigh!!

I'm not a fan of baja shelves, but I've go to admit they look really cool when they have a couple of bubblers in them If they are adding the shelf, now is the time to add the bubblers.

And finally, I'd ask about the ladder and grab bar by the stairs. I have zero expertise in this area, so I may be way off base, but are they compatible with a salt water pool? If so great, but if not, now is the time to find out.

Thanks,

Jim R.

Good catch on the ladder and bar- the plan is to remove both. The PB said the shelf on the deep end will count as egress so I don't need the ladder. My wife and I are debating this point, although I would think that it would be much easier to get out of a pool from a shelf than climbing a ladder, I never found those that easy to climb out of.

I am a little curious about the bubblers. It's not entirely too late, but they already drilled the holes through the shell for the lights and the return where the shelf is. I hadn't considered only bubblers, but I looked up the lighted bubblers, and they seem to run $3xx a piece, and I wasn't sure if that would be worth it for me. That area of the pool is going to be slightly hidden from the rest of the patio area by the house, so from a visual standpoint I'm not sure if it's worth it. Is their main function to act kind of like a fountain?

Anyone with experience with the globrite lights know if using 3 for this size pool will be acceptable?

I honestly hadn't even though about repainting the white, that's not a bad idea. One thought I had was to make some stone or brick "columns" every 15' or something to break up the wall and add some interest. Maybe add a light on top of each column. There isn't a whole lot of deck space between the pool and the wall though, so I don't want to encroach too much. I've also thought about potentially breaking out a section of the wall to put in a fireplace or something, but that could all be done in the future. Need to be somewhat reasonable with projects since I might not want to stay in this house forever.

The concrete people came yesterday and shot the vertical wall for the shelf.
IMG_20150901_091930501.jpg

I honestly hadn't even though about repainting the white, that's not a bad idea. One thought I had was to make some stone or brick "columns" every 15' or something to break up the wall and add some interest. Maybe add a light on top of each column. There isn't a whole lot of deck space between the pool and the wall though, so I don't want to encroach too much. I've also thought about potentially breaking out a section of the wall to put in a fireplace or something, but that could all be done in the future. Need to be somewhat reasonable with projects since I might not want to stay in this house forever.

If it were my wall I'd paint it that Go Away Green, then add something on top to heighten it and give it some depth here and there. Perhaps some small firepots placed on top at even intervals? Or flower pots hung on it? Perhaps a bit of wood? That wall can turn into a real asset if done up right! IMO, of course ;)

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
After shooting the wall. Next step is to backfill, finish rebar for the horizontal portion, and then pour the horizontal portion.

I picked out some tile, although I haven't decided which direction I'll run the tile. The first option is to run the tile this direction. There would be no cuts if I chose this.

The other option is to run the tile 45 degrees off (more of the direction it is intended to go), although there would be cut edges between the tile and plaster.

Thoughts?

- - - Updated - - -

Oh, I also forgot about edge tile. So there is currently bullnose tile along the vertical edge of the steps. One of the PB crew made some comment that it's better or easier to plaster the pool if these tiles are in place on the steps, as well as the sun shelf edge. I'm not sure how I feel about this. I was leaning toward not having any tiles on the edges of the steps or shelf. I understand it's probably easier to see the edges if there's something there, so maybe just stick a couple of the waterline tiles along the edge? Is it necessary to have any tiles on the edges?

I had just pasted the images in the message and they showed up in my browser, but I was wondering if other people could see them. Never used photobucket, but I redid the post and linked the images, let me know if they show up.

I see them and LOVE the tile! Man that is hard to pick which way to put them. I like both ways!

Okay I looked at them again and like the way where they are off 45 degrees the best. It makes the shape of them show up better. BUT that will require a VERY good tile sitter to do it right!

Kim

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.