Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Preparing for TS Erika

1. Back To Top    #1

Preparing for TS Erika

Thought we might start a thread on pool preparations for Erika.

Being a lifelong resident of Florida I have been through my fair share, but this is my first with a pool.

Suggestions on where to start???

15x28 free form in ground crystal Crete
    10-12k gallons
    Hayward aqua rite TCell 9 SWG
    Hayward Maxflo VS pump
    Hayward Star-Clear C1200

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Preparing for TS Erika

Stock up on bleach/chlorine. If it comes your way adjust the pH and bring the pool up to shock level if not a little above before the storm hits while you still have power.

If you do loose power keep the FC up by additions of chlorine and mixing by brushing the pool. Use your net to get and debris out of the pool as wipe icky as possible.

As always, worry about yourself first. Stay inside during the storm and watch out for downed wires after the storm.
    TFP Moderator 39 X 18 23,000(ish) freeform gunite; built 2007ish; Pentair Triton II TR100 600lb Sand filter; 2 HP Pentair pump with 2.2 HP AO Smith single speed motor; 2 skimmers, 1 main drain, 4 returns w/waterfall, Stenner 45MHP2 3GPD running@ 60% - 15 gal Tank; heated by the sun CYA 200+ when I started - 50 now. Dolphin Supreme M5 Pool Cleaner. Hot Springs SX Spa, 285 gallon

3. Back To Top    #3

Does covering the pool help...assuming you have a pool cover, of course.
    ----Chris----
    25k IG/Spa Figure 8, 18x36, Pebble Sheen Blue Granite, Sta-Rite S8M150 Cartridge Filter, Pentair 460805 400k BTU Heater & 011018 IntelliFlo VarSpd
    Liquidator, Fafco Solar Heat, Polaris PB460 Booster Pump w/280 cleaner, Katchaleaf Cover, TF100 Test Kit, FAKE MAIN DRAIN

4. Back To Top    #4

MOVE any lightweight items away from the pool. You know where it's gonna end up.
    16x32x52" Steel Cornelius Miramar AGP Vinyl liner 13,100 gal. Buried 2 ft.
    2 Speed Hayward Power-Flo Matrix 85 g.p.m. 22" 250lb. sand filter hard plumbed
    Pool Rover Jr., Pool Blaster Max, Diver Dave TF100 Test Kit/Speed Stir
    Margaritaville Frozen Concoction Maker, Liqour Chiller, & Drink Mixer & Party Tub----Collect 'um all!

5. Back To Top    #5

Quote Originally Posted by woodyp View Post
    MOVE any lightweight items away from the pool. You know where it's gonna end up.
    When I was growing up in Florida anytime a hurricane was on the way the neighbors threw all their patio furniture in the pool to "protect" it. As a matter of fact, that was common for many people.
    TFP Moderator 39 X 18 23,000(ish) freeform gunite; built 2007ish; Pentair Triton II TR100 600lb Sand filter; 2 HP Pentair pump with 2.2 HP AO Smith single speed motor; 2 skimmers, 1 main drain, 4 returns w/waterfall, Stenner 45MHP2 3GPD running@ 60% - 15 gal Tank; heated by the sun CYA 200+ when I started - 50 now. Dolphin Supreme M5 Pool Cleaner. Hot Springs SX Spa, 285 gallon

6. Back To Top    #6

Quote Originally Posted by tim5055 View Post
    When I was growing up in Florida anytime a hurricane was on the way the neighbors threw all their patio furniture in the pool to "protect" it. As a matter of fact, that was common for many people.
    This is always what my aunt did as well. Make sense it surely won't fly away.

15x28 free form in ground crystal Crete
    10-12k gallons
    Hayward aqua rite TCell 9 SWG
    Hayward Maxflo VS pump
    Hayward Star-Clear C1200

7. Back To Top    #7

Erika has dissipated for now so it might be a moot point; however, one thing we always did was to lower the pool water to just above the skimmer inlet to prevent overflow. if you lose power, you will only be left with a gravity drain (rather than the pump) so it's best to plan ahead based on projected rainfall.
    COMPLETED BUILD THREAD - 15'x29' rectangular offset shotcrete pool; 14,100 gal; 5'x7' raised spa with 400k btu fire feature; 7' spillover; 25' leuder stone raised bond wall w/waterfall; Pentair SWG; Pentair VS (pool); Pentair 3/4hp feature pump; 1hp spa blower; Pentair Cartridge filter; Pentair “Easy Touch 8” wireless; Dolphin Oasis Z5 robot; Solar Hydronics iSwim solar panels; Mansard Screen Enclosure; walnut travertine deck; 1 very happy kiddo.

8. Back To Top    #8

One more time I'll say---------Generator!
    (and gas to run it too)
    16x32x52" Steel Cornelius Miramar AGP Vinyl liner 13,100 gal. Buried 2 ft.
    2 Speed Hayward Power-Flo Matrix 85 g.p.m. 22" 250lb. sand filter hard plumbed
    Pool Rover Jr., Pool Blaster Max, Diver Dave TF100 Test Kit/Speed Stir
    Margaritaville Frozen Concoction Maker, Liqour Chiller, & Drink Mixer & Party Tub----Collect 'um all!