Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Long story... back again lol

1. Back To Top    #1

Long story... back again lol

Hey there So it has been 2 years since I needed help lol a lot is different now - we moved back to sunny California and are currently in the LA vicinity. We rented a wonderful house with a beautiful pool. With our rent came a pool guy included.. little did I know how clueless and worthless he was. I still had my TFT test kit but refrained from using it until today. After 2 months of watching the pool guy, I realized that he spent maybe 5 minutes each week and did nothing that was really maintaining the pool. He kept throwing those pucks into skimmer area.. grrrrrrrr

The pool we have is 16x32 in ground vinyl - it truly is a beautiful pool and from my calculations is 20-21K gallons. It has a spa as well but we don't use it because it needs refinished or you get fiberglass on your butt .. don't ask lol It also has a heater (yay for me!) and a huge filter... but I am lost on the equipment piece

Last week, I ordered refills for the kit and today conducted my first test. This morning (early) I tested and got this:

FC - 0 .... yup 0
    PH - ~7.8
    TA - 120
    CH - 480 *choke*
    CYA - NADA .. zip.. zilch

Needless to say I was floored... unfortunately, think about where we live so draining any water isn't happening. So I made a quick trip to Home depot and came out with 10 jugs of 8.25% bleach and 2 containers of stabilizer. I figured my first bet was to get some CYA in the water. It is hot and sunny here and the pool stays in the sun. Around 6:30pm this evening, I poured bleach to bring it up to at least 7 and added stabilizer for 20ppm (starting low) to the sock at the return which has almost fully dissolved now. I waited about 30 minutes (filter running) and retested the chlorine.

FC - 7.5
    CC - 1

Hubby and I walked around the pool and noticed algae on some of the sides - that aggravated me more. I guess my next course is a quick round of SLAM. I am going to test again around 9:30pm (8:45 now) then bring the chlorine up to 14 and see how much disappears overnight. My brushes won't be here til Saturday so I will crawl in the pool if I have with a rag and start wiping down lol I ran the vacuum tonight for a bit and will run it more tomorrow. I have the heater off on the pool now while doing all of this.

Any other advice and am I doing OK so far? Good news is that I contacted my landlord and told her what was up - I have now taken over the pool responsibilities and no pool guy..woohoo... now if I could figure out all the equipment, I would be golden lol

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Long story... back again lol

Get the owner to fire the pool guy and pay you to do it instead

Pretty strange the CYA is zero. I do not recommended you try to maintain the pool and the same time the pool guy is trying to?

You need to follow the SLAM process, just like you are doing.

Post pictures of the equipment and we can help with that.
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

3. Back To Top    #3

Oh he is fired after today She couldn't believe algae growing in the pool then I sent her pics of it, and pics of the tests... Literally no chlorine .. Ugh

I told her I am more than happy to take care of it because we use it daily and it is a small price to pay for my happiness lol He won't be touching this pool any more.. I threw the puck away that was in the skimmer..

I will get pics of the equipment up for you.. It is a lot and huge lol

4. Back To Top    #4

Ok... here goes the pics for the equipment... sorry if it gets too many and large

Picture of the pool
    fullview.jpg

Pic of the spa - the brown color on the seats is the fiberglass lol
    spa.jpg

The pool heater
    poolheater.jpg

This is what is attached on the right side of the pool heater
    heaterconn.jpg
    Christina
    ~14,000gal 14x30 IG vinyl, Hayward DE4820 filter (everything else is too old to read lol), TF100 Test Kit, TFPC method
    POOL SCHOOL, ABC'S of WATER CHEMISTRY, POOL MATH, SUPPORT TFP!!, TEST KIT!

5. Back To Top    #5

Timer with connections
    setupwithtimer.jpg

Filter

Filter Label

Filter Connections

Filter gauge - it never moves from this position on or off :\
    Christina
    ~14,000gal 14x30 IG vinyl, Hayward DE4820 filter (everything else is too old to read lol), TF100 Test Kit, TFPC method

6. Back To Top    #6

Should have ordered a new gauge with your refills
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter

7. Back To Top    #7

Quote Originally Posted by jblizzle View Post
    Should have ordered a new gauge with your refills
    ugh really lol I would have no idea what to do with it lol but if it is needed I can do that tomorrow.

Last reading tonight.... brought the level up

FC 19
    CC 1

see how much it depletes overnight... lordy lol
    Christina

8. Back To Top    #8

Need the pressures to know when to clean the filter. The glycerin filled gauges like tftestkits sells are much better.
    Jason, TFP Moderator

9. Back To Top    #9

Thanks Jason.. Will get that ordered tomorrow. I just realized I have no idea how to even backwash on this pump... Time to find me a manual

Hopefully that is easy to install..
    Christina

10. Back To Top    #10

TFP Guide

great job on taking over the pool find out how much they were paying "the pool guy" and have them take supplies and half the cost off your rent
    Pool: Intex 16x32 15000 gal, 2 speed 340042, Pentair CC320 Filter, CircuPool SJ45 Salt System, Intermatic PE653RC; Hot Tub: 650 Gal SWG Megachlor
    links: pool school * Recommended-Levels * SLAM * CYA chart * Test kits * How To Post Pictures * Poolmath * OCLT ** Support your website if we helped you :) **

11. Back To Top    #11

Quote Originally Posted by clambert1273 View Post

Last reading tonight.... brought the level up

FC 19
    CC 1

see how much it depletes overnight... lordy lol
    Why so high on the FC... or was that unintentional overshoot, for your assumed CYA of 20?

Pool School - Chlorine / CYA Chart
    18' x 48" ring top pool (Summer Escapes); 5500 gallons; set up June - October, stored during winter; Intex 2500 gph pump (B size cartridge filter) Hayward 21" sand filter + 1.5 hp single speed Powerflo Matrix pump (upgrade October 2016) *** K-2006 test kit, refills from tftestkits

12. Back To Top    #12

Unintentional but I will be assuming 20 cya at the moment since it all dissolved in the sock yesterday..

Definitely being used up at night..

This morning:
    FC - 9
    CC - .5
    Last edited by clambert1273; 08-28-2015 at 08:27 AM. Reason: Added readings

13. Back To Top    #13

I was going to say that dumping a bunch of pucks in there might not be a bad thing since your CYA was zero but since you added it in another way.....
    ----Chris----
    25k IG/Spa Figure 8, 18x36, Pebble Sheen Blue Granite, Sta-Rite S8M150 Cartridge Filter, Pentair 460805 400k BTU Heater & 011018 IntelliFlo VarSpd
    Liquidator, Fafco Solar Heat, Polaris PB460 Booster Pump w/280 cleaner, Katchaleaf Cover, TF100 Test Kit, FAKE MAIN DRAIN

14. Back To Top    #14

Lol That didn't hit me until after I bought everything go figure

15. Back To Top    #15

Quote Originally Posted by clambert1273 View Post
    He kept throwing those pucks into skimmer area.. grrrrrrrr
    Quote Originally Posted by jbizzle View Post
    Pretty strange the CYA is zero.
    If he was using pucks how could the cya be 0?
    DONE, 20 x 40, inground gunite, 30" raised bond beam with 3 12" sheer descents, 8' diving board, pentair 420 cartridge filter, vs-3050 pump, intellechlor ic-40, auto cvr, Tahoe blue pebble tech, 6ea 4' x 12.5' & 2ea 1' x 12.5' helicol solar panels, legend robotic cleaner.

16. Back To Top    #16

Yeah, let's confirm that. When you did the CYA test did the dot disappear at all? Some new testers get the scale backward.
    Jason, TFP Moderator

17. Back To Top    #17

One small puck once a week didn't make a difference and that is when he even showed up. I did the CYA test twice yesterday just to confirm and I could always fill it completely and always see the dot like it was clear water.
    Christina

18. Back To Top    #18

I agree, its odd that your CYA is zero when the pool has been seeing constant pucks. you can reconfirm when you get your refills, but even if they are 2 years old, I don think it would matter. keep us updated!
    Dan
    9,000 gallon in-ground Saltwater pool, plaster, cartridge filer, 1.0 hp pump, Hayward T-15 SWCG, TF-100
    Pool School - Chlorine / CYA Chart; Pool School - Test Kits Compared;

19. Back To Top    #19

Quote Originally Posted by jblizzle View Post
    Yeah, let's confirm that. When you did the CYA test did the dot disappear at all? Some new testers get the scale backward.
    I did the CYA test twice yesterday just to confirm and I could always fill it completely and always see the dot like it was clear water.
    Christina

20. Back To Top    #20

If the pool guy was adding 1 puck a week, it might take a while to see anything with the CYA test. The tube sells at 20.

Anyway, I think you are off to a good start. Check the CYA in a couple of days and I bet you'll finally see something.
    ----Chris----
    25k IG/Spa Figure 8, 18x36, Pebble Sheen Blue Granite, Sta-Rite S8M150 Cartridge Filter, Pentair 460805 400k BTU Heater & 011018 IntelliFlo VarSpd
    Liquidator, Fafco Solar Heat, Polaris PB460 Booster Pump w/280 cleaner, Katchaleaf Cover, TF100 Test Kit, FAKE MAIN DRAIN

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast