Just getting started with TFP...

Aug 27, 2015
Livermore, CA
I haven't yet had time to go through all the PoolSchool materials and I have a question about my PH.

Just took readings and I have the below... PoolCalculator says ~180oz bleach to get to 9ppm (which I think is right given my CYA). We've run the pump quite a bit in the last couple of days.. would that aeration lead to the high pH? So I had been adding muriatic acid to reduce pH but I'm all out. Do Borax and Baking soda both work to raise pH (because I have both on hand).

Recommendations on the pH level given my below numbers? Thanks!

CYA ~100
FC 4ppm
pH 7.8
TA 110

Welcome to TFP!

How does the water look?

Really you should replace water to lower the CYA as a first step.

Yes aeration raises pH, and your higher TA speeds up how fast it rises.

Borax mainly raises pH. Baking soda mainly raises TA.

Thanks jblizzle!

The water looks beautiful. I can't really replace water more than what is evaporating as we are in a severe drought here in the SF East Bay. We're limited as to how much we can use. I've switched off the tablets and to liquid bleach for about about two months and already my CYA has gone from ~120 to ~100. My pH seems to continually go up and I have to always add muriatic acid. Given what you said, should I seek to lower my TA so the pH doesn't rise so quickly? And if so, how do I do that?

The CYA will not lower due to evaporation ... only the water evaporates. The main way to lower the CYA is by physically removing water and replacing it.

You need to keep the FC above 7ppm at ALL times to try to prevent anything for starting to grow in the pool.

rogodeter, I hear you loud and clear about our horrible drought; I'm just over the hills from you. Perhaps over time you can do several smaller water changes. However, it will take longer and use more water.

One idea: could you use the pool water for landscape watering?

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.