Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Just getting started with TFP...

1. Back To Top    #1

Just getting started with TFP...

I haven't yet had time to go through all the PoolSchool materials and I have a question about my PH.

Just took readings and I have the below... PoolCalculator says ~180oz bleach to get to 9ppm (which I think is right given my CYA). We've run the pump quite a bit in the last couple of days.. would that aeration lead to the high pH? So I had been adding muriatic acid to reduce pH but I'm all out. Do Borax and Baking soda both work to raise pH (because I have both on hand).

Recommendations on the pH level given my below numbers? Thanks!

CYA ~100
    FC 4ppm
    pH 7.8
    TA 110

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Just getting started with TFP...

Welcome to TFP!

How does the water look?

Really you should replace water to lower the CYA as a first step.

Yes aeration raises pH, and your higher TA speeds up how fast it rises.

Borax mainly raises pH. Baking soda mainly raises TA.
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

3. Back To Top    #3

Thanks jblizzle!

The water looks beautiful. I can't really replace water more than what is evaporating as we are in a severe drought here in the SF East Bay. We're limited as to how much we can use. I've switched off the tablets and to liquid bleach for about about two months and already my CYA has gone from ~120 to ~100. My pH seems to continually go up and I have to always add muriatic acid. Given what you said, should I seek to lower my TA so the pH doesn't rise so quickly? And if so, how do I do that?

4. Back To Top    #4

The Pool School has an article on how to Lower Total Alkalinity, but this just speeds up a process that would occur anyway over time as you add acid. So this won't save on how much acid you add to get the TA lower, but it has you add more in a shorter period of time to lower the TA faster after which you shouldn't need to add as much acid.
    16,000 gallon outdoor in-ground 16'x32' plaster pool; Pentair Intelliflo VF pump; Pentair IntelliTouch i9+3s control system; Jandy CL-340 square foot cartridge filter
    12 Fafco solar panels; Purex Triton PowerMax 250 natural gas heater (200,000 BTU/hr output); automatic electric pool safety cover; 4-wheel pressure-side "The Pool Cleaner"

5. Back To Top    #5

Welcome to TFP!

Yes, lower TA will help reduce PH rise. Here is how, Pool School - Lower Total Alkalinity Aim for around 80 to start with.

Keep your chlorine above minimum for your CYA, Chlorine CYA Chart

More on Pool School - Recommended Pool Chemicals

And maintaining your pool, Pool School - ABCs of Pool Water Chemistry
    TFP Moderator
    If TFP helped you or saved you money - Become a TFP Supporter! <--Click here
    2012 build and pics, 20k gal gunite, black onyx pebblesheen, OK flagstone, IntellifoVS, cart filter w/Pleatco, IC40 SWG, Solartouch, 5 12'x4' solar panels, HP50HA heat pump, 8mil solar cover, borates, TF-100 test kit, SONOS, Doheny's Discovery Robot, hot tub on bleach

6. Back To Top    #6

The CYA will not lower due to evaporation ... only the water evaporates. The main way to lower the CYA is by physically removing water and replacing it.

You need to keep the FC above 7ppm at ALL times to try to prevent anything for starting to grow in the pool.
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

7. Back To Top    #7

rogodeter, I hear you loud and clear about our horrible drought; I'm just over the hills from you. Perhaps over time you can do several smaller water changes. However, it will take longer and use more water.

One idea: could you use the pool water for landscape watering?
    ----Chris----
    25k IG/Spa Figure 8, 18x36, Pebble Sheen Blue Granite, Sta-Rite S8M150 Cartridge Filter, Pentair 460805 400k BTU Heater & 011018 IntelliFlo VarSpd
    Liquidator, Fafco Solar Heat, Polaris PB460 Booster Pump w/280 cleaner, Katchaleaf Cover, TF100 Test Kit, FAKE MAIN DRAIN

8. Back To Top    #8

As stated above, you are lowering your pH each time you add muriatic acid. But you also state that you are adding water due to evaporation. Do you know the TA level of your fill water? Might be worth testing.
    13'x22'x52" 8,000 gallon ProSeries Pool with Borates
    Intex 110 pound Sand Filter with Zeobrite, 2650 gph pump, 0.95 hp
    Bestway SWG
    AquaPro ECO500 50,000 BTU heat pump
    GLI Whirlwind Solar Cover Reel, TF-100 Test Kit