When to SLAM as opposed to just adjust FC to target?

Jul 20, 2015
Houston, TX
So I've been using TFPC method for a couple of months now with great results. In the recent week, I've seen that although I've been maintaining FC, I'm seeing hints of algae growth. I've been able to brush the algae away and the problem seems to stay at bay for a day or two before I need to brush again. It doesn't help that the Polaris seems to get stuck on one of the steps often, so I wonder if the recent uptick in rain and plant debris are driving the recurrence of algae. CC, however, has been under 0.5ppm, which suggests otherwise.

Is it OK for me to continue to just maintain the FC between target and minimum as I've been doing, or should I be perform a SLAM? Are there specific criteria that need to be met for a SLAM? Thanks in advance!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Some different conditions can lead to algae growth when keeping your FC at the minimum for your CYA. Lack of circulation, your CYA might be a smidge higher than you thought, or your pump time may need to be longer. Brushing is definitely important, too. Someone with more knowledge may have additional ideas....

They will want a full set of test results, too.

Hello Texas neighbor. :wave: Well, the sun and heat has no mercy here, so we have to be vigilant. If you (ever) suspect algae, the first thing you should do is bump-up your FC close to or at SLAM level and perform an overnight test. This will tell you for certain if you have organics thriving in the water. If it's just dust or pollen, then your filter or skimmer sock should help with that. But the OCLT is the key so that you know if you need to continue with a SLAM or not. And if you do, the quicker you nip it the better and sooner you should pass. Hope that helps.

- - - Updated - - -

Also, rain has little effect on an algae bloom and you can have algae with little to no CCs. So stay on it and let us know if you have any more questions. Another hot week. :sun:

Thanks for the reply, PAgirl. My latest results from yesterday night (Wednesday 11pm CST) are:

pH: 7.5
CYA: 60
FC: 8 (was 4.5 before I added a gal of 10%LC)
CC: 0
TA: 60
CH: 425

Will test pH, FC, and CC once I get home today and post results.

Hi! I am a new pool owner. Had it installed the weekend after July 4th. I had the same problem, it went on for 3 weeks. I'd shock it and the water looked good for a few days. Then I'd see algae and shock again. I finally took my DE filter apart and cleaned. I ran pump for 24 hours and cleaned the filter again.
Next year I will use the TFPC method.
Good luck!
[emoji106]

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using Tapatalk

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Happy to report that my SLAM was successful based on the OCLT. FC loss was only 1ppm (24 --> 23), and CC was 0.5. Interestingly, chlorine loss during the day was higher than expected, went from 20+ down to 13 in one day!

BTW how long should one wait before measuring FC after adding chlorine to bring it to shock level? I waited about an hour but feel it wasn't long enough.

Congrats on the OCLT! Your FC loss after the SLAM was probably simply because of the hot sun today. Anything above your target is not necessarily bound to the CYA and if not actively used on algae will get burnt-off. As for how long to wait after adding bleach, about 30 min should do it. An hour is plenty with the pump running.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.