Pool Returns

I can tell you from my own personal experiences. My pool has 2 main drains, 2 skimmers and 8 returns (2 in the steps). 4 rotate 360 degrees, which creates a lot of water movement all over the pool. With the dark liner, the return system helps keep algae in check and the water warmer. The downside to this is that more things could possibly go wrong (long term), with the returns and PH is constantly rising, therefore having to lower every 3-5 days, depending on how the filter/pump is running.

In the end, if 3 returns help circulate the water properly, then you should do fine. My friend has 1 main drain, 1 return, 1 skimmer and does fine, except in certain areas he develops algae spots and has to brush more often. His chemicals are perfect and PH never drifts. He uses the TF-100 Kit as well.

How big is the pool? Can you add extra? I personally like the idea of the 8 returns (It was an upgrade) that was not that much more $$$. Keep us posted!

Pool is small - 450 sf, 35x16 freeform. PB spec'd one skimmer and we asked for 2 because the many crepe myrtles nearby. We also have 2 shear falls, and maybe two deck jets (PB has extras on-hand, lol, we will succumb.

You'll appreciate the additional skimmer with the water features you have. My pool is about the same size as yours and I only have one skimmer which is ok for many pools but on my pool the spa spill over rush of water pushes the surface water away from the skimmer so it only catches anything that goes on the surface of a very small area around my skimmer location. I have three returns but I have tried all kinds of different directions for them and cannot overcome the spill over effect on the surface from the spa so for me I'll end up having to get a poolskim and hook it up to a return for the other end of the pool to perform much of the skimming duties. Luckily I don't have a lot of trees around and in CA with no rain bugs don't live here anymore so it's not too bad. For my returns I basically already gave up on them helping me with skimming to rather have them concentrate their work on moving water deep in the pool so I can make sure there is no stagnant water down there.

Take note of your prevailing winds and place one of your skimmers on the downwind edge.
That will allow it to collect more effectively.

Returns, you want enough to not leave 'dead' spots without circulation.
It is their effect that prevents areas where the FC can be consumed and not replenished.

Pool is small - 450 sf, 35x16 freeform. PB spec'd one skimmer and we asked for 2 because the many crepe myrtles nearby. We also have 2 shear falls, and maybe two deck jets (PB has extras on-hand, lol, we will succumb.

The pool you are building is not small. Add the extra main drain, extra skimmer and few extra returns. Do not allow the builder to talk you out of it. You have only one chance. Looking back, I would have put a Polaris and spent the extra few dollars. Even though, it is not a big deal to vacuum manually (as the pool stays very clean), they never asked. Do you homework and be patient. Ask around. People love to talk about their pools. Then you can decide which options are best for you and which are not.

My pool has I think 5 or 6 returns and it is the size of yours. Do you know if they are putting normal returns or the fancy ones that let you change the flow direction? My pool has venturi skimmers that supposedly create suction and then the returns are directional so I can change where they spew (yes that is my technical term) to force water and leaves near the skimmer so they'll get sucked in. I am not sure how well this stuff works and how much marketing mumbo jumbo it is but we'll see.

My pool is 380 sqft and I have 5 drains (3 pool, 2 spa), 6 returns (4 pool, 2 spa) and 2 skimmers. I think a lot has to do with the shape as well as size (round would probably need less returns than a kidney shape for example) in determining the returns and skimmers.

The 5 drains shocked me, but I guess regulations require safety drains located at opposite ends/sides of the pool.

My pool is 40x20 rectangular and I only have 3 returns with 2 skimmers. Neighbors 40x20, new build has 4 returns, 2 skimmers. I almost always wish I had one or two more returns.

EDIT:

With a free form pool, I would think you'd need more returns to get adequate circulation. It's pretty easy to get a clockwise (or reverse) surface flow with two returns in my rectangular pool, with the third being aimed down into the deep end.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
My pool is 380 sqft and I have 5 drains (3 pool, 2 spa), 6 returns (4 pool, 2 spa) and 2 skimmers. I think a lot has to do with the shape as well as size (round would probably need less returns than a kidney shape for example) in determining the returns and skimmers.

The 5 drains shocked me, but I guess regulations require safety drains located at opposite ends/sides of the pool.

Weird because I am in the City of Austin and I only have one drain. It is a special drain that is really wide that prevents kids from being sucked down. Maybe it is either have a ton of normal drains or a safety drain.

Codes vary by location, but the standard these days is two linked main drains with a minimum distance between them or a very large main drain. Both cases limit the chance of entrapment. I don't think I've ever heard of requiring more than 2 drains linked to a single line.

I'm not sure why (guess I should ask the PB) but we have one main drain (Paramount MDX-Anti-Entrapment drain) and 2 high flow safety drains (Paramount SDX) in the pool plus 2 SDX drains in the spa. I'm guessing the MDX goes to the leaf canister for the In-Floor cleaning system which is on a closed system with separate pump.

You need returns to move/mix pool water in one direction. What is the shape of your free form pool, does it have deep end, what are the prevailing winds, skimmer locations? All this stuff matters to know if three returns are enough.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.