Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Replacing pool light

1. Back To Top    #1

Replacing pool light

I've replaced both my pool lights before. The one light always seems to leak unless I use silicone on the gasket including the grove that fits the lens. So I replaced the light and a "new" gasket and sure enough it leaked. So I just redid it again using silicone on the gasket. What I like to do is tighten up the wire clamp pretty tight let it sit for about 4 hours then finish tightening it. So is there something I’m missing? Am over tightening the clamp? I do get it as tight as I can. I don’t seem to have this problem with the other light. Also the fixture is not leaking before I took the fixture apart I made sure it was dry outside inside had no moisture at all. I guess the fixture mounting face could be warped didn’t straight edge it. Any suggestions ? I put up a pic of light and type of clamp generic photo
    Attached Images Attached Images
    In ground 20,000gal - pebble-tec - salt, Intelliflo pump, Sta-Rite filter 450 sq ft ,Hayward 6060 booster pump, non functioning Aqua Rite SWCG, TF 100 test kit.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Replacing pool light

I would not tighten the clamp as tight as you have been. There is definitely a sweet spot for tightness. Enough to be snug but over tightening can cause leaking as well.
    Joel - TFP Moderator - Minnesota - **Become a TFP Supporter!** Helpful Links: ABCs of Pool Water Chemistry - SLAM Procedure - Chlorine/CYA Chart
    40x20 Pool: 32K Gallons * Vinyl * Bleach Chlorination * Hayward S270T Sand Filter * Pentair SuperFlo 1 HP * Teledyne/Laars Heater * AquaVac Tigershark * TF-100 w/ SpeedStir
    Isolated Spa - 345 Gallons

3. Back To Top    #3

Re: Replacing pool light

I backed it off so now its pretty snug. I think that might have been the problem over tightening. I check it tomorrow.
    In ground 20,000gal - pebble-tec - salt, Intelliflo pump, Sta-Rite filter 450 sq ft ,Hayward 6060 booster pump, non functioning Aqua Rite SWCG, TF 100 test kit.