15 year old pool needs new equipment / Help me choose

Nico

Aug 27, 2015
Lakeland, FL
Hello,

I am looking to replace most equipment for my 15 year old, 12K gallon pool. Our heater no longer works, the chlorinator leaks, and my pump is single speed and also leaking around the impeller area. After looking at the website poolmoz.com (Top 5 Pool Equipment 2015) and other research, I am considering the following configuration.

UV - SpectraLight SL-500 1700

Heater- Hayward HP50HA 1550

Pump - EcoPump EP-4 776

Salt - AutoPilot Digital Nano 757

Pre-Filter - MultiCyclone Centrifugal Prefilter 341

Current Cartridge Filter (<2 years old) 0

TOTAL: 5124

This is a big purchase to swallow. Given that my pool is 14 x 26, average depth of 4' (sport pool 3'-5'-3'), with an actual number of gallons of <12K, should I change any of these choices? I am wanting to make these purchases within the next two weeks, as my quarterly commission is coming. The fiber optic pool light needs to be replaced also, but that will have to wait.

I have replaced the filter, pump and chlorinator once each over the 15 years and installed the heater 12 years ago, (which recently died). I will be installing all components.

I look forward to your thoughts. Thank you for your help.

The UV isn't really necessary and only works when the pump is running (unlike FC). Also, I would drop the pre-filter as it too is unnecessary and decreases the pump efficiency. Saves $2k

Agree with mas, the UV is certainly not worth $1700. Outdoor pools get enough UV from sunlight to burn off CC buildup and the chlorine will do the rest. Any chlorine savings you might get from the system (which typically is zero or worse, but I'm not getting in to that argument today) will be far less than the cost of the UV system.

Thank you Mark. That sounds reasonable and echoes other posts and UV discussions. Do you have any suggestions regarding pump brand and size (I notice that your pump only a 1/2 HP for a larger pool)? Also, the SWG brand and heat pump brand? I appreciate the advice.

Scott, I appreciate the option, but I am hoping to achieve some power savings with a multi-speed or variable speed pump. (Additional info on the leaks, they are also coming from cracks in the pump housing.) Any suggestions on a brand and/or size? Thank you.

I noticed that you have a Nano SWG. Do you recommend it?

- - - Updated - - -

Donaldson, I appreciate your advice. I have decided to jettison the UV light and will enjoy the savings. Do you have any recommendations on the type/size/brand of pump, SWG & heat pump?

Thank you Mark. That sounds reasonable and echoes other posts and UV discussions. Do you have any suggestions regarding pump brand and size (I notice that your pump only a 1/2 HP for a larger pool)? Also, the SWG brand and heat pump brand? I appreciate the advice.
You have an in-floor cleaning system which requires high HP and high energy use so a VS seems like a bit of a waste to me. I am actually surprised, you can run your cleaning system with just a 1 HP pump. What is the make/model?

Also, how do you use your cleaning system (hrs/day)? Any run time without the cleaner.

SWG I have been using a Hayward Aquarite T-15 for over ten years. If the whole thing blew up tomorrow, I would buy another just like it. It works really well, gives you adjustments in one percent increments without having to be connected to an automation system (unlike other brands). Seems pretty bullet proof (except a $2.50 part that seems to need replacing after several years). I got 7.5 years out of a cell that cost $400, so chlorine cost was less than $57 per year.

If you are buying a new pump, do yourself a favor and spend the extra for a Variable Speed. I have a Pentair Intelliflow pump that has a fully programable timer built in. Mine is the 011018 which is a 3 hp. but it runs most of its time on 150 watts or less electricity. It cost a bit more up front, but the flexibility is worth it. I have different speeds set for cleaning, solar system, regular filtration and chlorination (SWG flow requirement), and one for quick clean. These pumps cost a bit more, but are worth it.

I don't know much about heat pumps, but I do know you don't need UV or prefilter, put that money elsewhere, maybe the pump. I do have a leaf canister plumbed in before my pump, which I like.

Another vote for the 011018 Pentair VS pump. You'll gain a lot of flexibility with the ability to adjust pump speed. It seems especially appropriate for a SWG in that you can run it for a long time (if you need to) at a very slow speed and still save quite a bit in electricity. You might check if your local utility has any sort of rebate program on VS pool pumps. Here in California, there is one for $100 right now.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I noticed that you have a Nano SWG. Do you recommend it?- - - Updated - - -

I've only owned it for this season, but I have had zero issues with it thus far. Like the Hayward, it is adjustable in 1% increments. I did quite a bit of research when my other unit crapped out. I knew I didn't want another of that type, the Pool Pilot system seemed to be the best value. I ordered it on Friday and had it on Saturday. Granted, I'm only an hour and a half from the company I bought it from, but they got it right out which I appreciated.

edit....

On the pump issue, I'll leave that to more knowledgeable people that myself to advise you on. I'm running an underrated 3/4 hp pump that only costs me about 18 dollars a month to run so it would take a very long time for me to re-coop the cost on one of those fancy pumps. The heater I really have no idea on. I'm on the MS Gulf coast, my swim season is already 8-9 months long.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.