Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Slamming for 14 days looking for some advice

1. Back To Top    #1

Slamming for 14 days looking for some advice

Hello, I started slamming 14 days ago and have been successful at getting rid of the algea. My problem now is blue water that will not completely clear. The water is not green, cloudy or aqua in color...it is the correct color of blue just not real clear. I ran numbers and came up with these
    CYA 45-50
    PH 8.2 or higher
    Calcium 100
    TA 260
    FC 16
    CC 0
    OCLT 0
    This is the second time I have run these numbers and the results are identical except the FC which was 17.5 last time
    My filter is working well (the gauge has quit but I can tell when a backwash is needed by the force of the water coming out the return) I also do a backwash and rinse after vacuuming each day. Can I stop the slam and just wait for my filter to complete the clearing or will my high PH and TA numbers keep it from clearing completely. Thanks for any advice.
    Barbara, Southern Illinois, 27x52 vinyl above ground pool, Hayward series Vari-Flo XL pump 1.5HP power flo matrix, sand, water from well. TF-100 test kit.

2. Back To Top    #2

TFP Guide

Re: Slamming for 14 days looking for some advice

Have you read about adding DE to a sand filter? It can give the filter a little boost in getting the really small stuff.

You may want to replace the gauge before trying it, as you need to be able to tell if your pressure goes up one PSI to know you have added enough, or not too much.

Pool School - Add DE to a Sand Filter
    26' X 52" Intex Ultra Frame. Intex Sand Filter
    26' X 52 Intex Ultra Frame Install
    You can lead a horse to (clear) water, but you can't force him to swim in it!

3. Back To Top    #3

Well, your TA is VERY high. However, with FC above 10, the pH test is invalid so don't bother testing it unitl your FC is below 10.

What are the numbers like directly from your well? In other words, what are your readings from your fill water? Do you know if you have any metals in your well water?

It sounds like you are done SLAMing but one of the criteria is clear water. If you don't think it is clear enough, maintain the FC at SLAM levels. Check all nooks and crannies, under ladders, inside pool lights, inside the skimmer for any possible sources of algae still left hanging around.

Keep brushing and moving that stuff around. DE is a good idea.

When you are done SLAMing AND your FC drops below 10, you can then measure the pH and TA and then work with acid to lower the TA.

If you have metals in the water, they can contribute to 'not-so-clear' water but give the DE and another day or two of SLAMing a chance to work before looking to other things.
    ----Chris----
    25k IG/Spa Figure 8, 18x36, Pebble Sheen Blue Granite, Sta-Rite S8M150 Cartridge Filter, Pentair 460805 400k BTU Heater & 011018 IntelliFlo VarSpd
    Liquidator, Fafco Solar Heat, Polaris PB460 Booster Pump w/280 cleaner, Katchaleaf Cover, TF100 Test Kit, FAKE MAIN DRAIN

4. Back To Top    #4

TFP Guide

If the DE doesn't work start here Helping a friend: This should be a good one - Page 10
    32K gallon Plaster - 1hp Hayward 2 speed Super Pump - Hayward S200 Sand Filter - TF100XL
    Test Kits - Pool Math - Chlorine/CYA/Target/Slam Chart

5. Back To Top    #5

Try to *not* backwash each and every time you vacuum. Sand filters actually work better a *bit* dirty.

Make sure you are SLAMing with the FC for 50 CYA. There really isn't a "45" so you round up.

You're not using any calcium or HypoCal in the pool right??
    My Amazon Smile for November12K Fiberglass IG, Infinity 4000 automatic cover, SWCG, Hayward Sand Filter, Hayward 1.5 Pump, Doheny Discovery Robot, Savi Melody LED pool lights, outdoor speakers and other assorted doo-dads. Sundance Altamar Hot Tub.
    Our pool build--> Our Pool Solved Our Sloping Yard Skippy's Cheap Pool Cooler -->Skippy's New Fountain

6. Back To Top    #6

Thanks for all the suggestions. I will test my water from the fill water (I assume you mean the hose) and see about getting a new gauge. Where do you get DE? I will not backwash after vacuuming each time and make sure I am doing the slam for 50 cya. I am not using anything but bleach. I took my ladder out and have scrubbed it with bleach but have not put it back it. I also have bleach water in the "fill to hold down" holes on the ladder. I don't have any lights or anything else in the pool and the skimmer baskets are clean. I guess I just need a good old dose of what you folks call POP. I am also concerned that using that much bleach without there being any algea my liner may get damaged. Thank you again
    Barbara, Southern Illinois, 27x52 vinyl above ground pool, Hayward series Vari-Flo XL pump 1.5HP power flo matrix, sand, water from well. TF-100 test kit.

7. Back To Top    #7

TFP Guide

DE can be purchased anywhere you buy pool stuff. Make sure it's the kind for pools.
    No need to worry about the liner. You have CYA in there so it is buffering the chlorine. That's what it's job is.
    Bob - Palm Beach by San Juan Pools. approx 5000 gals., Pentair 320 cartridge filter (all new guts installed by me), Goldline SWG, 'New to me' Kreepy Krauly Sand Shark, Intermec 104 Timer Test kit: TF-100 w/Speed Stir

8. Back To Top    #8

Good morning all...I am thrilled to report that my pool is clear! Didn't have to add any DE, just had to be patient. The readings I checked are OCLT-0 and CC-0 FC-17. I didn't check the ph and will check cya to figure out what my chlorine level should be by the cya/chlorine chart. My understanding is that I need to let my chlorine level drop to the cya chart level then check my PH and adjust the PH if necessary with muriatic acid. How long after adding the acid do I check my ph level again to see if it needs more and what time of day is best to add the acid. I intend to add any needed chlorine in the evening and should I also continue running my pump 24/7? Thanks once again for all the help I am definitely a convert! No more pool store for me. I would appreciate any suggestions. Barbara

9. Back To Top    #9

TFP Guide

You can do the acid at any time the pump is running. Usually check it again after 30-60 mins.

Pump run time is really dependent on what it takes to keep the pool clean. Some folks look at skimmer needs, like if you get a lot of leaves and surface debris. Run until that stuff clears. Others look at circulation. If your returns are poorly placed and don't get water all around the pool, it might take a little longer to make sure chlorine can get where it needs to be.

This page will prove useful reading: http://www.troublefreepool.com/conte...ater-chemistry

Here are a couple more:
    http://www.troublefreepool.com/conte...pool-chemicals

http://www.troublefreepool.com/conte...-care-schedule
    Bob - Palm Beach by San Juan Pools. approx 5000 gals., Pentair 320 cartridge filter (all new guts installed by me), Goldline SWG, 'New to me' Kreepy Krauly Sand Shark, Intermec 104 Timer Test kit: TF-100 w/Speed Stir

10. Back To Top    #10

Very sorry, didn't realize that I had to post pictures. I will not post anymore but Thanks for the help anyway

11. Back To Top    #11

TFP Guide

Very sorry for the misunderstanding. We just really like pics around here. No need to worry. They aren't a requirement or anything.

Feel free to post any time you need anything.

12. Back To Top    #12

Thanks pabeader! I am just not much of a techie and would have to wait on one of my grandchildren to come take pics for me. They are still trying to get me to get away from a desktop and to get a smart phone lol

13. Back To Top    #13

TFP Guide

Just between you and me, I prefer my desktop. I like being able to move the keyboard around depending on how my hands and wrists feel that day.

14. Back To Top    #14

I love my laptop- I'm often sitting outside or poolside reading TFP
    My Amazon Smile for November12K Fiberglass IG, Infinity 4000 automatic cover, SWCG, Hayward Sand Filter, Hayward 1.5 Pump, Doheny Discovery Robot, Savi Melody LED pool lights, outdoor speakers and other assorted doo-dads. Sundance Altamar Hot Tub.
    Our pool build--> Our Pool Solved Our Sloping Yard Skippy's Cheap Pool Cooler -->Skippy's New Fountain

15. Back To Top    #15

Glad you cleared it. I don't have DE, but I use "clarifier" instead. It helps to glue together all the fine particles in the water, so that the sand filter is collecting it. I add small amounts weekly. Also, do not backwash too often (the working gauge is a must) and vacuum to waste instead of filter!

I am new on TFP, but after 1 month of using TFP methods (and pin pointing the problems), tenants in the building already noticed that the pool is "cleaner then before".
    Kyle. I manage a residential complex and taking care of the swimming pool is one of my duties. It is an indoor, 36 000 gallons (140 000 liters), Marbelite, heated pool, with sand filter, and Jacuzzi 1.5 HP pump. Normally I aim to keep the following chemical composure in the pool: FC = 1.5 - 2.5; PH = 7.4 - 7.6; TA = 80 - 90; CH = 200 - 300; Saturation Index = 0.0 - +0.2 Testing Kit: Taylor K-2006

16. Back To Top    #16

TFP Guide

Truly. if you follow TFP methods very closely, you won't run into problems that require a clarifier. This is my 4th summer using the TFp way, and I have not ever added anything other than bleach, CYA, borax, baking sodaand a little PH down, when I miscalculated how much soda to add once. (Didn't want to have acid laying around a long time, since my PH seems to stay very low.)
    26' X 52" Intex Ultra Frame. Intex Sand Filter
    26' X 52 Intex Ultra Frame Install
    You can lead a horse to (clear) water, but you can't force him to swim in it!