Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Pre storm / hurricane

1. Back To Top    #1

Pre storm / hurricane

Hi,

As I live in Florida, and have only been doing my own pool 5 months, I am not sure what pre storm prep to make.

With Erkia , and of course any potential storm / hurricane around the corner here in FL, I was wondering what to do.

Should I dump in bleach? Drain pool by 30% ??? Etc . Thx

12k SWG pool, free form. 1HP flotec pump, P90 Leslie's filter. Florida. Taylor 2006 test kit. I think plaster, waiting verification from here.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Pre storm / hurricane

Boosting the FC is a plus, as the pool will be diluted with rain and overflow.
    Make sure you have some bleach on hand to bring it back in range after the storm.

I would not drain the pool that severely.
    Usually I have pumped down to bottom edge of skimmer then only pump more when level rises close to bullnose.

Even during TS Allison where we got 24" in 24 hrs this method was fine.

Do you have a means to pump to waste? Or were you thinking of dropping in a submersible pump?
    40k gal freeform, IG pebblesheen, 9'x'6' raised spa, 2-1/2 hp Whisperflo, 520 sq/ft cartridge, Legend w/ booster, Intellibrite 5g in pool @ spa, Rainbow 320 Chlorinator(retired),
    Mastertemp 400k BTU, 3x3 hp Whisperflo Swimjets, 2x2 hp Whisperflow for 15ton moss rock waterfall, Intelitouch Controller, 850 sq/ft Travertine deck, Gas/Wood firepit,
    Autofill, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir

3. Back To Top    #3

Re: Pre storm / hurricane

Ok. Thx.

I have never drained before - only filled with hose monthy when water evaporates.

I think I see a valve that I connect a soft plastic type hose to , that just drains into the yard

12k SWG pool, free form. 1HP flotec pump, P90 Leslie's filter. Florida. Taylor 2006 test kit. I think plaster, waiting verification from here.