Came home to a swamp getting frustrated

Apr 7, 2013
Tallahassee Fl
So begining of the summer I raised my CYA to 80ppm dialed in the swg and life was perfect. we went out of town for three weeks and while we were gone the power went out. my awesome VSP had an error and I was not home to hit the start button so the pool sat for three weeks growing algea.

I ran out of the DPD titrating agent to measure FC, and the CYA reagent that came with my kit. Stupid me thought I could just get these at the pool store to resume my own management. WRONG. So I know I have FC as when I add the reagent that makes it turn red we have a nice deep red color. and I have no CC in the test. I started shocking last week and kept going untill I saw no more CC. and the sample stayed red when i added step 1 from my taylor kit.
CYA: hopefully still 80
FC: Dark red
ph: 7.4
TA: 80

The water is still cloudy im assuming since it took 3 weeks to grow the algea(I mean caked on green algea) it will take some time to clear it up? the correct replacement solutions have been ordered and will be here eventually.

Your pool needs to be properly SLAMed. Please see the procedure link in my signature. Note that this is a process where you must maintain shock levels of FC until you pass the 3 criteria in the procedure. You cannot complete a SLAM properly without a proper test kit. You need a kit that has a FAS-DPD FC/CC test and a CYA test to verify your CYA ppm. The TF-100 from tftestkits.net is the best residential test kit money can buy. The Taylor K-2006 is also very good but has less reagents that you need for the money. Do you have either of these test kits? If not, that's your first step. Second step is reading through the SLAM procedure, perhaps ABCs of Pool Water Chemistry and the other links in my signature.

Your pool needs to be properly SLAMed. Please see the procedure link in my signature. Note that this is a process where you must maintain shock levels of FC until you pass the 3 criteria in the procedure. You cannot complete a SLAM properly without a proper test kit. You need a kit that has a FAS-DPD FC/CC test and a CYA test to verify your CYA ppm. The TF-100 from tftestkits.net is the best residential test kit money can buy. The Taylor K-2006 is also very good but has less reagents that you need for the money. Do you have either of these test kits? If not, that's your first step. Second step is reading through the SLAM procedure, perhaps ABCs of Pool Water Chemistry and the other links in my signature.

I have taylors K-2006 test kit
Amazon.com : TAYLOR TECHNOLOGIES INC K-2006 TEST KIT COMP CHLORINE FAS-DPD : Swimming Pool Liquid Test Kits : Patio, Lawn Garden

Borrowed same kit from my dad and my parameters are almost where I want them.
FC 21
CC 0
CYA 80
ph 7.4
Salt 3700
TA 80
I never bother with calcium hardness as I have vinly pool
before I left I dumped the sand out of the filter and filled it with pool sand from HD. I am wondering if this is my problem So i bought some DE to add to the filter and I am going to see where that gets me. I do not believe my problem is organic.

I'm not sure why you think changing your sand is a problem, since you said you used pool sand to refill your filter.

High CH can cause cloudiness, especially when other water parameters interact with the high CH... at any rate, you should check it at least monthly, preferably-- but a few times a season at a minimum. Also test your fill water's CH, pH, and TA... so you know what you are putting in your pool when you top off.

The "caked on green algea" is organic... and even if it is dead, until it is filtered out or otherwise removed from the pool--- it is still "organics"...

Good Luck :flower:

- - - Updated - - -

BTW, be sure to go slow with the DE... a little goes a long way.

Is the pool still green? How long were you able to maintain shock FC level before running out of reagent?

Adding DE while fighting a green pool is going to require you to babysit that pressure gauge. You should wait until you can pass an OCLT before adding the DE.

Chlorine will kill the algae if maintained at the proper level.

Dom

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.