Can stamped concrete be restamped?

Feb 27, 2015
Dallas, TX
So we finally got our deck poured today. However they used the wrong stamp. We had agreed to a repeated tile pattern, but got a faux stone pattern with no tiles. We were told it can be fixed but will take two weeks for the current deck to cure and then the surface can be re stamped. Is this going to be possible while keeping the deck flush and flat with the coping and looking good? Will they have to remove some or is it going to look raised higher than the coping? Are we better off just keeping what was done? The job was done well, just not the pattern we wanted.

Thanks for any advice.

If you hate it or it will bother you every time you go outside then by all means get it replaced. But if you think you can live with it, then ask for a discount. It's your decking and you're the one who has to live with it.

Can you show us some pics of what you wanted and what you got?

I don't know how they think they can "re-stamp". The process involves pushing a stamp/mould down into partially set cement. The do it they would have to pour a new thin slab on top of the existing concrete and stamp that. With the tile pattern you have selected you are going to end up,with the low spots of the new concrete very thin over the old slab. I would think this would be a recipe for cracking and peeling off the top of the bottom slab.

If it is level with the coping now it will end up higher, no doubt.

I really believe a 1/4" slab over an existing slab is a bad idea. I would reach out to Mr. Google to see what you can find.

I think what they did looks nice but it is a much different look than what you wanted. I would find out the cost of removing what they did and redoing it (not by putting the stamp over what you have but by repouring a full slab of concrete) and then decide if you want to take a credit of that amount

Thanks, they did a good job, just not what we were expecting. My big concern is that they want to do an overlay and I don't know that an overlay can be done without it looking odd and not lining up with the coping etc. If it needs to be ripped out first to make it work properly I need to verify that is what will be done.

Agree with above comments. Only way to "restamp" is to put the thin coat on top. That will almost certainly fail (crack, chip or spall) within a few years.

Your options are to either accept what you have (with a possible credit) or have them jackhammer and remove what they did and redo it. I imagine a full removal is going to lead to a fight with your PB as he will have to eat the cost of the mistake.

I'm curious, did they show you the stamp before doing the work? Most decking companies doing stamped concrete usually require the owner or PB to visually approve the stamp before beginning. At least that's always been my understanding of the process.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thanks, they did a good job, just not what we were expecting. My big concern is that they want to do an overlay and I don't know that an overlay can be done without it looking odd and not lining up with the coping etc. If it needs to be ripped out first to make it work properly I need to verify that is what will be done.

Personally if there was no miscommunication you paid for a brand new slab of stamped concrete that will last years. Not a patched slab that could only last a few. I would either require the builder to rip the entire thing out and redo it correctly OR figure out the cost to repour the entire slab and have the builder give you an incentive to not redo it. Is there some upgrade you could get with the same cost? Maybe more decking? Or an upgraded pool finish? IF you live with their mistake that is.

No miscommunication, just a mistake by the PB. No we did not get to see the stamp until my wife who happened to be home asked about it, but they had already started pouring before that. Thanks for the input everyone, sounds like an overlay isn't as permanent and we either need to accept it as is or remove/ re pour.

sounds like an overlay isn't as permanent and we either need to accept it as is or remove/ re pour.
All concrete is going to crack, it's the nature of the beast. That is why you see lines in driveways and patios. The builder is trying to "force" the crack in those spots to make it look better.

But, with that being said, a skim coat is going to fail. You just don't know when. The concrete guys are going to tell you it's fine and will last a life time. If so, ask for a real long warranty and make them back it up by purchasing a bond to,secure the warranty.

Short of that you have two choices as I see it-

Jackhammer it out and re-pour, re-stamp correctly

They give you a sufficient discount to make you happy.

Now, I will say my patio is what you originally asked for. I hate it (came with the house/pool). Water ttends to hang in the low spots and gets dark discolorations. I'll trade what I have for what you got any day.

Our last pool had a stamped concrete deck like the one you wanted. We really liked it. That being said what they did is lovely and I wonder if you will be less likely to notice cracks and imperfections without the tiled pattern. We did get cracking even with a quality job. After paying out all of this money, I might take the discount and buy some great patio furniture!

The picture of what you wanted looks nothing like the finished deck, were you not home when they were doing the deck so you could tell them it's wrong? That's a big fub@r. No way to fix that unless you start over and deck looks like it gonna be really slick when it's wet. Hey, I feel your pain my pool idiot forgot to put pea gravel in the mix, telling me on the morning of the pour and already behind I let it slide and had to go with mortex cool deck and this cr@p stain's when you get anything on it. It's always something. It's an imperfect world

As someone who doesn't like a lot of commotion, I would stick with what is there, since it turned out so nice. I'd be nervous that the redo wouldn't come out as good as the first pour, then I'd be out of luck. It can be hard to accept not getting what we asked for/paid for, though.

That's the same pattern (seamless) we had done on our deck with a different release color. We discussed, argued, hem and hawed between seamed or seamless but the decision was finally made by our concrete guy (great guy BTW) when he asked what was the focal point of the yard; pool or deck. With our raised wall of stone and brick coping, more squares would have been over the top.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.