Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Is a Taylor k2006 reliable

1. Back To Top    #1

Is a Taylor k2006 reliable

I have been taking care of my pool for several years now and have always done my own testing with a Taylor 2005 test kit. Recently some of the reagents ran out so a purchased a Taylor k2006 most the tests are the same except the chlorine which now uses the powder. On my old test kit my chlorine always stayed around 3 but with the new test kit it puts it at 6 and I initially tried to bring the chlorine down but it didn't change the readings at all. I have read the directions through multiple times and have watched some videos so I know I am doing the test correctly. Does anyone know how reliable the Taylor 2006 kit is?
    Ps I have been swimming in the pool and I believe if the chlorine was really that high I would be able to smell it way more.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Is a Taylor k2006 reliable

That is one of the 2 test kits we recommend and way more accurate than the DPD chlorine test in the K2005.
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

3. Back To Top    #3

Btw, the FC level you need to maintain is a function of your CYA level. This is the foundation of what we teach.
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter

4. Back To Top    #4

Yup, trust the powder (FAS--DPD test). Let us know your levels and we can help if you have more questions!

5. Back To Top    #5

In the Industry

I am going to bookmark this as a good example of the limitations of the DPD test, it just cannot be held to the same standard as the FAS-DPD test. You really got an upgrade with the 2006. Pro tip: You can use 10 ml of water and 1 scoop of powder with the test and count each drop as 0.5 ppm. This saves reagents and is usually enough precision.

As jblizzle said, FC and CYA are very important. Just as an example, I maintain 50 CYA and so my FC is regularly 6 but we don't smell or feel it due to the buffering effect of CYA. It is extremely nice compared to those pools we know that do not follow the FC/CYA ratio. For reference this is the chart we use: Pool School - Chlorine / CYA Chart
    JD - 28' Round Above Ground Pool, 17,000 Gallons. Dual speed Jacuzzi pump with cartridge filter. Dual speed 1 HP pump, Hayward S210T sand filter
    Pool School - PoolMath - HIGHLY Recommended Test Kits

6. Back To Top    #6

Since you were off by a factor of two, the first thought that popped into my head was that you were using a 10 ml water sample but not multiplying the number of drops by 0.5 (or dividing by 2 which is the same thing), but you say you are following the instructions correctly so that then would not be the problem.
    16,000 gallon outdoor in-ground 16'x32' plaster pool; Pentair Intelliflo VF pump; Pentair IntelliTouch i9+3s control system; Jandy CL-340 square foot cartridge filter
    12 Fafco solar panels; Purex Triton PowerMax 250 natural gas heater (200,000 BTU/hr output); automatic electric pool safety cover; 4-wheel pressure-side "The Pool Cleaner"

7. Back To Top    #7

I checked my chemicals today.
    Chlorine 6
    Ph 7
    Ta 30
    Cya 60
    Not sure what to do exactly it is an outdoor pool in Oregon with a triton sand filter any ideas on what I should do?

8. Back To Top    #8

Raise the TA up to 60ppm with baking soda. Keep the pH in the 7s.

How does the water look?

If you have read the links, you know that your FC is fine for your CYA.
    Jason, TFP Moderator

9. Back To Top    #9

My water is more cloudy then I would like and every time I have put in baking soda it has just made it even more cloudy

10. Back To Top    #10

Well, raise the TA up like I said (use PoolMath to calculate dosages).

Then since the water is cloudy now, that tends to point to algae problems and you likely need to follow the ShockLevelAndMAINTAIN Process which according to the FC/CYA Chart will require maintaining a FC level of 24ppm.

BTW, after the SLAM is done, with a CYA of 60ppm, you must keep the FC above 5ppm at all times.

Please add your pool details to your signature as described HERE as it will help us help you.
    Jason, TFP Moderator