Question for az people with a sunken bar ramada

Aug 21, 2015
Phoenix
My pool is being built and had a question in regards to the sunken bar. Is a drain needed for the sunken bar or does it not affect us here in AZ? If so, what did you use and pictures would be nice. :D:D

Hope to hera back from someone soon as my plumber is here already working on pool.

I know little about sunken bar builds but any time you have a significant water source above the grade of a living/entertaining area I'd demand a drain in the sunken area. I'm not sure how much lower the water will be than the top surface of the bar but it would certainly be awful if the pool were to overflow into the sunken bar. Granted, you aren't likely to get torrential rains in Phoenix. You probably don't run much risk of manually overflowing the pool when filling either. The drain would be good insurance and might be nice for when you want to clean the floor surface of the sunken bar.

Perhaps other Phoenicians (LOL... kidding) can chime in.

Being below grade the drain would need to be more along the lines of a sump pump.
Whether it be automatic or manual, when water gets down in the bar area, and it will, the sump pump will get it out of there.

I'm doing a new pool build at the moment in Gilbert, AZ. My builder dug the ramada down an extra 18" and put a bunch of large pipes with holes in them in a criss cross pattern and then put pebble all around the pipes, then topped with top soil. He put a drain in the corner that feeds into these pipes and said this completely gets rid of the need for a sump pump. As long as your property is graded properly to not drain into the sunken area, you should be fine doing this. Sump pumps are a pain in the a*# and break almost every year.

Also, phoenix gets very very large storms through the rainy season that I have seen overflow pools in the last few years. So it should definitely be a concern.

-Ben

I'm doing a new pool build at the moment in Gilbert, AZ. My builder dug the ramada down an extra 18" and put a bunch of large pipes with holes in them in a criss cross pattern and then put pebble all around the pipes, then topped with top soil. He put a drain in the corner that feeds into these pipes and said this completely gets rid of the need for a sump pump. As long as your property is graded properly to not drain into the sunken area, you should be fine doing this. Sump pumps are a pain in the a*# and break almost every year.

Also, phoenix gets very very large storms through the rainy season that I have seen overflow pools in the last few years. So it should definitely be a concern.

-Ben
I know it has been a while and I am planning on doing a similar system. Here in Arizona I could see this working just fine but out of curiosity how did this work out?

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.