Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Question for az people with a sunken bar ramada

1. Back To Top    #1

Question for az people with a sunken bar ramada

My pool is being built and had a question in regards to the sunken bar. Is a drain needed for the sunken bar or does it not affect us here in AZ? If so, what did you use and pictures would be nice.

Hope to hera back from someone soon as my plumber is here already working on pool.
    NEW POOL BUILD IN THE WORKS. :)

PLAY POOL - SPA- SUNKEN BAR

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Question for az people with a sunken bar ramada

I know little about sunken bar builds but any time you have a significant water source above the grade of a living/entertaining area I'd demand a drain in the sunken area. I'm not sure how much lower the water will be than the top surface of the bar but it would certainly be awful if the pool were to overflow into the sunken bar. Granted, you aren't likely to get torrential rains in Phoenix. You probably don't run much risk of manually overflowing the pool when filling either. The drain would be good insurance and might be nice for when you want to clean the floor surface of the sunken bar.

Perhaps other Phoenicians (LOL... kidding) can chime in.
    Joel - TFP Moderator - Minnesota - **Become a TFP Supporter!** Helpful Links: ABCs of Pool Water Chemistry - SLAM Procedure - Chlorine/CYA Chart
    40x20 Pool: 32K Gallons * Vinyl * Bleach Chlorination * Hayward S270T Sand Filter * Pentair SuperFlo 1 HP * Teledyne/Laars Heater * AquaVac Tigershark * TF-100 w/ SpeedStir
    Isolated Spa - 345 Gallons

3. Back To Top    #3

Being below grade the drain would need to be more along the lines of a sump pump.
    Whether it be automatic or manual, when water gets down in the bar area, and it will, the sump pump will get it out of there.
    40k gal freeform, IG pebblesheen, 9'x'6' raised spa, 2-1/2 hp Whisperflo, 520 sq/ft cartridge, Legend w/ booster, Intellibrite 5g in pool @ spa, Rainbow 320 Chlorinator(retired),
    Mastertemp 400k BTU, 3x3 hp Whisperflo Swimjets, 2x2 hp Whisperflow for 15ton moss rock waterfall, Intelitouch Controller, 850 sq/ft Travertine deck, Gas/Wood firepit,
    Autofill, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir

4. Back To Top    #4

That is what i was thinking of doing. A sump pump is in my plans since i can also run my sink drain to it also.
    NEW POOL BUILD IN THE WORKS. :)

PLAY POOL - SPA- SUNKEN BAR

5. Back To Top    #5

I'm doing a new pool build at the moment in Gilbert, AZ. My builder dug the ramada down an extra 18" and put a bunch of large pipes with holes in them in a criss cross pattern and then put pebble all around the pipes, then topped with top soil. He put a drain in the corner that feeds into these pipes and said this completely gets rid of the need for a sump pump. As long as your property is graded properly to not drain into the sunken area, you should be fine doing this. Sump pumps are a pain in the a*# and break almost every year.

Also, phoenix gets very very large storms through the rainy season that I have seen overflow pools in the last few years. So it should definitely be a concern.

-Ben