Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Cutting my solar cover, any tips?

1. Back To Top    #1

Cutting my solar cover, any tips?

Will be cutting our solar cover next week and thought I'd see if anyone has any tips for a pool shaped like ours.

SUMMER 2015 BUILD IG gunite 38 x 31, 28,000 gal, 110' perimeter, Intelliflo VS, Whisperflow 3hp, Intellibrite LED x2, Clean & Clear 520, Screen Logic, Intelichlor 40, Quartzscape Blue, K-2006C, Speedstir, Aquanaut 400 (4 wheel The Pool Cleaner)

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Cutting my solar cover, any tips?

Sharp scissors and go slow.
    17K Kidney Shaped Pool Concrete (Diamond Bright) Pool, 3/4 hp 2 speed 115V Sta-rite Duraglas PEA5D-180L/P2R5D-181L (Impeller C105-92PS Diffuser C1-216P), 1.5 piping, Pentair CC100 Filter , Heat Siphon 100K BTU Heat Pump Pool Heater, Flow meter Blue White Flowmeter Model No. F-30150P, Hayward Astrolight SP0581N, SWCG CalimarTitanium Edition TE45 , Dolphin Nautilus Plus with CleverClean, Lakeland Florida

3. Back To Top    #3

Spread over entire water surface. With cover flat on the water & using a very sharp knife, follow the curves of the pool, cutting the cover against the wall so that it remains flat on the water. We used a sharpie and marked on the top of the cover left & right.
    33 Round AGP, 26K gal, vinyl liner, 1 HP single speed pump, 1 Hayward wide mouth skimmer, Pentair sand filter, Taylor K-2006 test kit, Red Leopard Orbit suction auto vac, Pool School, TFTestkits, PoolMath, Support this Site!

4. Back To Top    #4

Cutting a pool cover for your pool will cure you of any OCD inclinations you may have. You don't have to make it perfect!
    21K gal 16' x 40' in-ground pool built 1959, old school with Jacuzzi bronze pump, American Products 24" Sand Filter & Americana Multiport valve, Jandy Lite2 millivolt heater, Coverstar cover, and classic Kreepy Krauly.

5. Back To Top    #5

I'm somewhat worried about going around the planters, they're +18"
    SUMMER 2015 BUILD IG gunite 38 x 31, 28,000 gal, 110' perimeter, Intelliflo VS, Whisperflow 3hp, Intellibrite LED x2, Clean & Clear 520, Screen Logic, Intelichlor 40, Quartzscape Blue, K-2006C, Speedstir, Aquanaut 400 (4 wheel The Pool Cleaner)

6. Back To Top    #6

I think the best method is to lay the pool cover over the pool and let it sit in the sun for a couple hours and then cut to the shape of the pool. I used a utility knife to cut mine.
    25,000 gallon in ground white plaster- 1 1/2 HP Pentair SuperFlo pump - 60 sqft FNS DE filter (with FiberClear), 1999 Sundance Optima 850 hot tub.
    Manassas Park, VA

7. Back To Top    #7

^^^^^^ I've been told to let it sit on the pool for a couple days. So I let it sit for about 3 days then take scissors to it. You might be able to cut pull the cover on top of the planters then cut it . Or if you really want to get it just right tape some cardboard together put it on top of the planters and make a pattern. trace from bellow. The cove doesn't have to fit perfect
    In ground 20,000gal - pebble-tec - salt, Intelliflo pump, Sta-Rite filter 450 sq ft ,Hayward 6060 booster pump, non functioning Aqua Rite SWCG, TF 100 test kit.

8. Back To Top    #8

What do you think of cutting the cover in half to make it more manageable?

9. Back To Top    #9

I cut my cover down the middle seam then added a solar roller to each half just so I could manage it on my own. Best thing since sliced bread!
    33 Round AGP, 26K gal, vinyl liner, 1 HP single speed pump, 1 Hayward wide mouth skimmer, Pentair sand filter, Taylor K-2006 test kit, Red Leopard Orbit suction auto vac, Pool School, TFTestkits, PoolMath, Support this Site!

10. Back To Top    #10

In the Industry

Box, or sheet rock cutter is best. I have used scissors with horrible results (in comparison to the box cutter). Cutting the cover into two or even three sections is great for managing. The best thing is to have an area adjacent to the pool to pull the cover off onto, and it looks like you have plenty of area for this. Hardest/most challenging area will be up against the raised wall.

Good Luck.
    Factory Warranty Station for:
    Jandy/Zodiac, Pentair, Sta-Rite, Raypak, Polaris,
    and Paramount pool cleaning systems.