Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Wait time between addition of chemicals

1. Back To Top    #1

Wait time between addition of chemicals

I added muriatic acid to bring my PH down about 30 minutes ago. How long should I wait before I add conditioner since I need to raise my CYA level a bit?

I will be adding bleach later on tonight FYI.
    10K GAL, AGP Vinyl, Pentair Sand Dollar (SD40) filter, Pentair Dyanamo High Performance Pump (DYNIIN1-1)
    HP 1.50 SPL, Kreepy Krauly Lil Shark Pool Vacuum, Taylor K-2006 Test Kit

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Wait time between addition of chemicals

I believe the consensus is running the pump for 30 minutes after each addition or before testing. (except cya which takes up to a week to fully dissolve/register.)
    16x32 IG Vinyl, 13,000 Gals. Hayward S-244T sand filter, SP2810X15 pump
    (1.5 HP motor) Raypak PR266AEN (266k btu) gas heater. TF-100 Test Kit.
    Dolphin E10 Cleaning Robot.

3. Back To Top    #3

30 minutes with the pump running is enough time.
    TFP Moderator
    Helpful links: TF Test Kits,TFP Pool School, PoolMath
    Vogue 21' round AG, Pentair 1 hp 2 speed pump, 36 sq ft DE filter, Hayward S180T 150# sand filter, Houston, Texas
    Love TFP? Become a
    TFP Supporter!

4. Back To Top    #4

TFP Guide

CYA is not normally labeled as "conditioner". It's usually called stabilizer. If the CYA is in granular form you should tie it up in an old sock and put it either in a skimmer or hang it in front of a pool return. It will take some time maybe days for it to fully dissolve and up to a week to show up in tests. That said, there is no required time between the addition of any of these chemicals, just don't ever mix them. You can add muratic acid and by the time you get it put away and get out a bleach bottle, it will be dispersed enough to add the bleach. A general rule is a half hour between adding bleach or acid and swimming though.
    chiefwej
    Tucson, AZ
    16x36 rectangular (19k) Pebble Tec play pool/spa, Pentair Intelliflo VS 011018, Super II 2hp (spa), Aqua Rite T-15 SWG, Pro Grid 60 DE, Hayward H400 & Heliocol Solar heating, A&A infloor system, fill water w/high CH and TA, 50 ppm borates,TF-100 test kit

5. Back To Top    #5

Quote Originally Posted by chiefwej View Post
    CYA is not normally labeled as "conditioner". It's usually called stabilizer. If the CYA is in granular form you should tie it up in an old sock and put it either in a skimmer or hang it in front of a pool return. It will take some time maybe days for it to fully dissolve and up to a week to show up in tests. That said, there is no required time between the addition of any of these chemicals, just don't ever mix them. You can add muratic acid and by the time you get it put away and get out a bleach bottle, it will be dispersed enough to add the bleach. A general rule is a half hour between adding bleach or acid and swimming though.
    I have used the Natural Chemistry Instant conditioner before to raise CYA as that is what it is intended for. Natural Chemistry Chemicals - Swimming Pool Supplies, Parts, and more - Backyard Pool Superstore

It normally kicks in within 2-3 days completely and works magically.
    10K GAL, AGP Vinyl, Pentair Sand Dollar (SD40) filter, Pentair Dyanamo High Performance Pump (DYNIIN1-1)
    HP 1.50 SPL, Kreepy Krauly Lil Shark Pool Vacuum, Taylor K-2006 Test Kit

6. Back To Top    #6

TFP Guide

Ok, that's liquid CYA, a much quicker, but more expensive way to add CYA.
    chiefwej
    Tucson, AZ
    16x36 rectangular (19k) Pebble Tec play pool/spa, Pentair Intelliflo VS 011018, Super II 2hp (spa), Aqua Rite T-15 SWG, Pro Grid 60 DE, Hayward H400 & Heliocol Solar heating, A&A infloor system, fill water w/high CH and TA, 50 ppm borates,TF-100 test kit

7. Back To Top    #7

Just as a side note: Noticed that per Pool School, CYA is often sold as "stabilizer" or "conditioner."
    /L

7,000 gallon, IG, concrete aggregate pool, Hayward single-speed pump (SP2807X10) w US Motors electric 1 HP / 3450 rpm motor, Hayward Star Clear Plus filter (C751) w cartridge (CX760RE), Taylor K-2006 test kit, SW FL.