Above ground pool cover question..to cover or not to cover??

chdolfnz

LifeTime Supporter
Apr 21, 2009
Lancaster, pa
Hello,

Last spring I lost my above ground pool due to build up of ice and snow and rain on my cover due to a nasty snow/rain storm..my pool was covered with a solid cover, but due to all the weight on the cover, it collapsed the cover into the pool and ripped the liner and damaged the sides.

I have since put up a new pool this season (which of course my homeowners DIDN'T cover!!)...my question is whether it would be ok NOT to cover the pool this winter??..I live in PA and get some cold and snow and almost always frozen pool water. We do get some leaves, but I do have a mesh cover I could use in the fall to catch most of them...I'm just not sure if it is "healthy" not to cover the pool, and damage it in any way?

I just don't want to repeat last spring again!!..With my work schedule, I don't always get to drain off all the water in the winter before it freezes.
Any insight into this would be greatly appreciated!!!

Thanks!!

Curt

Here is scenario.
We have had our pool for about 3 years, no trees except for one pine tree from neighbor about 40ft away.
1st 2 year's covered pool with solid cover.
it got very old very fast going out after shoveling, plowing snow just to scoop up to a foot of snow off the cover every other day.4 inches snow fall equals 1 foot drifts in pool.
Used a plastic roof rake to drag to one side of pool and then shovel out with a plastic shovel.
One side of pool has deck surround so it had to be done from ground level.
After awhile you have a pretty deep pile of snow to stand in and try to do this unless you really toss the snow far away.
Plus around here,once it starts to freeze temp wise,no water to use a pump with, either ice or snow.
Old cover was starting to rip around edge,ordered new one last year but didn't use,left it uncovered.
Lowered water 6 inches below return,plugged return,capped off skimmer with plate,disconnected all plumbing at return and skimmer.
One thing I also learned,2 years ago I had the sand filter in garage but didn't remove sand, it was enough to split the bottom.
Now I also remove sand and no problems.One thing about going cover-less you have to wait until later in the year to close and open sooner in the spring." my opinion"last year waited until temps were constant 50's to close.
A little more cleaning of water when opening but way less work than shoveling your back yard every day.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.