Polyquat 60

Apr 6, 2015
Brunswick/Ohio
Can anyone tell me how long I can expect a bottle of polyquat 60 to last before it loses its effectiveness...basically I bought a bottle just for winter closing....if I kept the unused portion in a cool dry place would I be able to use it again the following year?...thanks!

Sent from my HTC6525LVW using Tapatalk

Yes, there are several threads including the one above as well as PolyQuat 60 shelf life and Algaecide Expiration?, but they all point to my original post on The PoolForum where I wrote to Buckman Labs, makers of Polyquat, and they responded:

PolyQuat is a biocide that is registered with the USEPA; and, as such, it will have a specific guaranteed shelf life. The shelf life (which may or may not be printed on the label) is one year. In general, registered biocides are assumed to have a one-year shelf life unless the label states otherwise. While the compound itself is very stable and is not expected to decompose upon storage, we cannot guarantee it beyond the stated one-year shelf life (due to legal and regulatory considerations).

In other words, it is "guaranteed" to last one year, but it's a stable compound so would presumably last longer. How long -- well, who knows. And be sure to check the label to see if it states otherwise (i.e. a shorter shelf-life).

"While the compound itself is very stable and is not expected to decompose upon storage, we cannot guarantee it beyond the stated one-year shelf life (due to legal and regulatory considerations)."

So sounds like it basically will be fine but possibly less potent as time goes by than what the label says for its stated potency. So just use a little more than the suggested amount.

I worked at a Pharmaceutical manufacturer a few years ago and learned from the chemists there that "exp" dates on drugs/supplements are not when they 'expire' or go 'bad' like milk. The samples of the drugs/supplements put on stability (shelved) merely do not test out after a specified amount of time to show that the active ingredients match the labeling claim of potency. FDA takes truth in labeling very serious so a manufacturer must prove label stated potency from testing stability samples. So I do not throw out pills at my house. Yes, I use up all of my Advil even though it expired a year or two ago. I just take three pills instead of two...

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.