New pool owner, which test kit?

Aug 11, 2015
Potomac, MD
see my signature for a comparison link of the recommended test kits. the TF-100 is the best value for what you get. the recommended test kits will provide you with the tests you need. in order to maintain your pool, you need to know its CYA (stabilizer) levels and FC (free chlorine). the test kit you linked does not provide these, the recommended ones do

You need a test that is capable of measuring Free Chlorine, Combined Chlorine, pH, Total Alkalinity, Calcium Hardness, and Cyanuric Acid. Despite the advertisement your kit is really only a 3-way test, it tests Total Chlorine, pH, and Total Alkalinity. Your pool doesn't have bromine and the acid demand test is not vital. Also the chlorine test is only useful for getting a vague idea of chlorine levels. The other kit you posted is virtually identical.

Only two kits accurately measure the levels I mentioned. The Taylor K-2006 and TF-100. Both are similar but the TF-100 has been optimized to contain more of the most used reagents and was designed specifically for the care we recommend on this forum. The K-2006 is available from several locations including Amazon, while the TF-100 is available from TFtestkits.net. Either one is far more useful than the kit you have now.

see my signature for a comparison link of the recommended test kits. the TF-100 is the best value for what you get. the recommended test kits will provide you with the tests you need. in order to maintain your pool, you need to know its CYA (stabilizer) levels and FC (free chlorine). the test kit you linked does not provide these, the recommended ones do

Thanks, I found two places that sell the TF-100, both for $68. Anywhere to get it cheaper?

TFTestkits.net

Water Testing - TFTestkit TF-100 Seven Test Kit - TF-100

On the East Coast you want to get it from TF Test Kits, located in South Carolina. Pool Supply is on the West Coast. Those are the only two distributors of the TF-100 kit.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Yes, Ohio is West of West Virginia. And where I live we are more like Indiana than WV anyway.

Ok, I will stop this bus before it gets more off target. My mistake, ever since Dave changed his location to Florida I forgot where TFT is located.

From my HTC One via Tapatalk

Not really, but there is a little secret. If you order from Tftestkits and the order is large enough, like include a magnetic stirrer, I've heard shipping is being comped.

I tried ordering from tftestkits and included the magnetic stirrer and XL option and am still being charged $10.95 shipping.

At poolsupplyworld, the test kit is $68 with free shipping so I ordered it from there. Also got the magnetic stirrer for $33.35 shipped from Amazon (Amato Industries):
http://www.amazon.com/gp/offer-listing/B004BGPC5W/

Grayson73,

As TFTestkits, I cannot conduct customer service on the forum. Please CALL them @ 919.528.1454.

PoolSupplyworld is a fine resource. Your kit will come from California and take about 5-6 working days to get to you.

To help clarify, Rebecca, my daughter, now owns TFTestkits.........still shipping from Creedmoor NC. She is available by email @ [email protected]

I have moved to Sebring, Florida (man, is it humid :D) and will remain as active as ever on the forum and consult and assist Rebecca. This took place in January of this year and I probably should've let everyone know. I am sorry for the confusion.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.