Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: New pool owner, which test kit?

1. Back To Top    #1

New pool owner, which test kit?

Hi,

I bought this pool test kit before discovering this forum:
    5 Way Swimming Pool Spa Pool Above Water Chemical Test Kit | eBay

Is it good enough, or do I need to buy something else? If something else, which one?

Is this #1 seller on Amazon good?
    Amazon.com : Poolmaster 22260 5-Way Test Kit with Case - Basic Collection : Swimming Pool Liquid Test Kits : Patio, Lawn Garden

Outdoor concrete pool, unsure of size, but about 5' deep at deep end.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: New pool owner, which test kit?

You need to add this- TFTestkits.net

And also this - TFTestkits.net

Is the kit you bought a Taylor's kit such as K-2005?? We only recommend the Taylor's K-2006 or the TF-100 kit from TFTestkits.net
    My Amazon Smile for November12K Fiberglass IG, Infinity 4000 automatic cover, SWCG, Hayward Sand Filter, Hayward 1.5 Pump, Doheny Discovery Robot, Savi Melody LED pool lights, outdoor speakers and other assorted doo-dads. Sundance Altamar Hot Tub.
    Our pool build--> Our Pool Solved Our Sloping Yard Skippy's Cheap Pool Cooler -->Skippy's New Fountain

3. Back To Top    #3

see my signature for a comparison link of the recommended test kits. the TF-100 is the best value for what you get. the recommended test kits will provide you with the tests you need. in order to maintain your pool, you need to know its CYA (stabilizer) levels and FC (free chlorine). the test kit you linked does not provide these, the recommended ones do
    Dan
    9,000 gallon in-ground Saltwater pool, plaster, cartridge filer, 1.0 hp pump, Hayward T-15 SWCG, TF-100
    Pool School - Chlorine / CYA Chart; Pool School - Test Kits Compared;

4. Back To Top    #4

In the Industry

You need a test that is capable of measuring Free Chlorine, Combined Chlorine, pH, Total Alkalinity, Calcium Hardness, and Cyanuric Acid. Despite the advertisement your kit is really only a 3-way test, it tests Total Chlorine, pH, and Total Alkalinity. Your pool doesn't have bromine and the acid demand test is not vital. Also the chlorine test is only useful for getting a vague idea of chlorine levels. The other kit you posted is virtually identical.

Only two kits accurately measure the levels I mentioned. The Taylor K-2006 and TF-100. Both are similar but the TF-100 has been optimized to contain more of the most used reagents and was designed specifically for the care we recommend on this forum. The K-2006 is available from several locations including Amazon, while the TF-100 is available from TFtestkits.net. Either one is far more useful than the kit you have now.
    JD - 28' Round Above Ground Pool, 17,000 Gallons. Dual speed Jacuzzi pump with cartridge filter. Dual speed 1 HP pump, Hayward S210T sand filter
    Pool School - PoolMath - HIGHLY Recommended Test Kits

5. Back To Top    #5

Quote Originally Posted by DaninFLA View Post
    see my signature for a comparison link of the recommended test kits. the TF-100 is the best value for what you get. the recommended test kits will provide you with the tests you need. in order to maintain your pool, you need to know its CYA (stabilizer) levels and FC (free chlorine). the test kit you linked does not provide these, the recommended ones do

Thanks, I found two places that sell the TF-100, both for $68. Anywhere to get it cheaper?

TFTestkits.net

Water Testing - TFTestkit TF-100 Seven Test Kit - TF-100
    Outdoor concrete pool, 14,000 gallons, Purex Triton Clean & Clear Plus cartridge filter.

6. Back To Top    #6

TFP Guide

Not really, but there is a little secret. If you order from Tftestkits and the order is large enough, like include a magnetic stirrer, I've heard shipping is being comped.
    Bob - Palm Beach by San Juan Pools. approx 5000 gals., Pentair 320 cartridge filter (all new guts installed by me), Goldline SWG, 'New to me' Kreepy Krauly Sand Shark, Intermec 104 Timer Test kit: TF-100 w/Speed Stir

7. Back To Top    #7

In the Industry

On the East Coast you want to get it from TF Test Kits, located in South Carolina. Pool Supply is on the West Coast. Those are the only two distributors of the TF-100 kit.
    JD - 28' Round Above Ground Pool, 17,000 Gallons. Dual speed Jacuzzi pump with cartridge filter. Dual speed 1 HP pump, Hayward S210T sand filter

8. Back To Top    #8

Become a paid member here and get $10 off the test kit. I just did today and ordered a tf100 and stirrer with free shipping.

Built Aug 2015- 20x40 26000 Gallon free form gunite, White plaster w/ 50% blue quartz, 2hp Jandy Stealth, Polaris 280, 2 skimmers,2 floor drains, 5 returns, bubbler, Grotto waterfall. 2 24" sheer decents, Jandy 48 DE filter, Jandy Aquapure PLC1400 SWG, 2 Color changing led

9. Back To Top    #9

Quote Originally Posted by Donldson View Post
    On the East Coast you want to get it from TF Test Kits, located in South Carolina. Pool Supply is on the West Coast. Those are the only two distributors of the TF-100 kit.
    Hush your mouth....TF Test Kits is in Creedmoor NORTH Carolina. About 40 minutes north of me
    18' x 38' Pool, 3' to 8' Depth
    Vinyl Liner
    SWG
    Variable Speed Pump
    Sand Filter

10. Back To Top    #10

In the Industry

Quote Originally Posted by robertmee View Post
    Hush your mouth....TF Test Kits is in Creedmoor NORTH Carolina. About 40 minutes north of me
    North Carolina, South Carolina, is there a difference?

From my HTC One via Tapatalk

11. Back To Top    #11

Quote Originally Posted by Donldson View Post
    North Carolina, South Carolina, is there a difference?

About the Same as Ohio and West Virginia...you tell me
    18' x 38' Pool, 3' to 8' Depth
    Vinyl Liner
    SWG
    Variable Speed Pump
    Sand Filter

12. Back To Top    #12

In the Industry

Yes, Ohio is West of West Virginia. And where I live we are more like Indiana than WV anyway.

Ok, I will stop this bus before it gets more off target. My mistake, ever since Dave changed his location to Florida I forgot where TFT is located.

13. Back To Top    #13

Quote Originally Posted by pabeader View Post
    Not really, but there is a little secret. If you order from Tftestkits and the order is large enough, like include a magnetic stirrer, I've heard shipping is being comped.
    I tried ordering from tftestkits and included the magnetic stirrer and XL option and am still being charged $10.95 shipping.

At poolsupplyworld, the test kit is $68 with free shipping so I ordered it from there. Also got the magnetic stirrer for $33.35 shipped from Amazon (Amato Industries):
    http://www.amazon.com/gp/offer-listing/B004BGPC5W/
    Outdoor concrete pool, 14,000 gallons, Purex Triton Clean & Clear Plus cartridge filter.

14. Back To Top    #14

In the Industry

Grayson73,

As TFTestkits, I cannot conduct customer service on the forum. Please CALL them @ 919.528.1454.

PoolSupplyworld is a fine resource. Your kit will come from California and take about 5-6 working days to get to you.
    Dave S.
    42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School

15. Back To Top    #15

In the Industry

To help clarify, Rebecca, my daughter, now owns TFTestkits.........still shipping from Creedmoor NC. She is available by email @ TFTestkits@gmail.com

I have moved to Sebring, Florida (man, is it humid ) and will remain as active as ever on the forum and consult and assist Rebecca. This took place in January of this year and I probably should've let everyone know. I am sorry for the confusion.
    Dave S.
    42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School