Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Want to Make Pool Shallow

1. Back To Top    #1

Want to Make Pool Shallow

I own a 8.5 feet deep pool and I want to make my pool 4 feet shallow. (Vinyl liner, Inground Pool, 8.5 feet deep)

Which is the best material to fill it in with? fill with dirt? sand? concrete? gravel?

I got different answers from different people.

I joined hoping to look for answers.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Want to Make Pool Shallow

Sorry cannot help. Ours is 4 foot to 7 feet. I'd love to have 8.5 feet. Funny how preferences are so different.
    Kafko 15x28 Rectangle granite grey liner pool - Kafko 8 foot granite grey steps / Kafko 8 foot granite grey sunledge - Hayward Equipment - Kafko Safety Cover - Beachcomber 750 hot tub

3. Back To Top    #3

I have a 1 year old, so I hate having a deep pool.

I dont know which is the best material to fill in a pool to make it shallow. Hopefully I can find the answer in the forums.

4. Back To Top    #4

Whoa! You know kids get bigger...right? And they love deep ends too. Diving games, cannon ball contests and other pursuits.

For a few years to come now your one year old will probably be wearing either one of those special floaty vests or wings...right? They float the same in 8' of water as they do in 4'. There is no added safety in a shallower pool to a toddler, IMO.
    My Amazon Smile for November12K Fiberglass IG, Infinity 4000 automatic cover, SWCG, Hayward Sand Filter, Hayward 1.5 Pump, Doheny Discovery Robot, Savi Melody LED pool lights, outdoor speakers and other assorted doo-dads. Sundance Altamar Hot Tub.
    Our pool build--> Our Pool Solved Our Sloping Yard Skippy's Cheap Pool Cooler -->Skippy's New Fountain

5. Back To Top    #5

I don't know the answer to your question either, but I have a deep pool. The diving board, slide, and cannonballs off the side are the favorite activities of my guests.

6. Back To Top    #6

Quote Originally Posted by YippeeSkippy
    Whoa! You know kids get bigger...right? And they love deep ends too. Diving games, cannon ball contests and other pursuits.

For a few years to come now your one year old will probably be wearing either one of those special floaty vests or wings...right? They float the same in 8' of water as they do in 4'. There is no added safety in a shallower pool to a toddler, IMO.
    This is good advice worth considering before you do anything drastic to alter your pool. I have seen far more injuries in shallow water than in deeper water. In the meantime, the best safety advice for small children is parental/adult supervision whenever they are in the water.
    Gold Supporter, TFP Lifetime Supporter, 26,680 gal Plaster IGP 3.5 - 10' depth / Attached Waterfall Spa, Manually Chlorinated, Triton Sand Filter, 1.5 HP * 1.1 SF = 1.65 SFHP 1-speed Pentair WhisperFlo WF-26 Pump, 400K BTU NG Teledyne Laars Series One Heater, Polaris 360, Test Kit Comparison, Chlorine/CYA Chart, SLAMing Your Pool, OCLT
    A good test kit is an investment, not an expense.

7. Back To Top    #7

Remove the "excess" water.
    South of France inground rectangular 17k pool - ruber membrane. Sliding dome, black thermal blanket covering 75% of the pool surface. Aqualux 3/4Hp pump, glass media sand filter, Zodillac robot, 110W UV-c lamp, Hayward brominator, Caliente 12kW heat pump.