Fighting the green monster all summer

Aug 26, 2015
LEAGUE CITY
I have been an above ground pool owner for 20+ years. This year has been the worst. It seems no matter what I do, I cannot get my pool clear. I can't help but wonder if it is the filter. When I set up this pool 6ish years ago (after Hurricane Ike took our last one), I used DE exclusively in my Intex sand filter. I was new to the sand filter line and after hearing my in-ground pool friends talk of using DE, I chose to do the same. This summer I replaced the DE with sand from the pool store. They told me that I should have never used DE in a non DE filter. So, I listened to them...the professionals...and bought sand. The pressure is fine, all other things the same. I have purchased more chlorine, algaecide, baking soda, clarifier, and Leslies brand of chlorine, than ever before and to no avail. Even when I get the pool to a white cloudy state, vacuum the bottom to waste, I still have a cloudy pool which then very quickly turns green yet again. Please help!!!

ON a side note, the pool pump is making a very loud sound but is still pushing the water through at a normal pressure. I expect to purchase new but that is for another thread as I am considering going with Hayward and hard plumbing it in.

Just to clear up your confusion (I believe?) is that sometimes people with sand filters do add a *little* DE powder to their filter to aide in trapping the smallest bits of schmutz. I've never heard of anyone using DE exclusively in a sand filter with DE?? Didn't you get it coming back into the pool?

I second the need for your own test kit. Being in Texas you need to be able to monitor your water well and have enough CYA in the water to shield the chlorine from all that sun. Sunlight and organics are what cause chlorine to be depleted and CYA acts as a "sunscreen" for the chlorine.

Pools kept in the TFP way don't need algaecides (which actually can cause you problems!) or weekly "shock" because the day to day FC level is maintained appropriately.

Please dive in to the Pool School articles up at the top right of this website. The ABC's of Water Chemistry is a good start
Pool School - ABCs of Pool Water Chemistry

I think I may be confused about the DE as I purchased some to add as an aide and it is a fine powder. What I purchased before was closer to sand in its size but was very expensive as I paid over 80 dollars from the pool store for 4 bags. If memory serves me, it may have had some blue flecks in it. Does that ring a bell?

I went to the pool store to have my water tested as I do not have the test kit you guys speak of. After inquiring about the medium that I put in my sand filter, I finally discovered that it was Zeolite. They said that it wasn't worth the extra cost and that it would not be the reason for my pool not being cleaned. He thought it might be the gasket on the 6way.

Ahhh... You NEED a good test kit. Your pool is large enough that draining and starting again is not very practical (unlike small above ground pools) so you need to invest in the proper equipment to care for it. If you are able to test yourself you'll be able to see early on when problems may be developing. You'll also be able to manage any problems. You can't do those things using the pool store to test. In your hot Texas climate you have plenty of swim time left to enjoy so I hate to think you're losing it to green.

The money you won't need to spend on algaecides, floc, clarifiers etc will be plenty enough to order the TF-100 XL test kit from TFTestkits.net Once you have that in hand you'll be able to get rid of the green once and for all.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.