Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: chlorine problems please help

1. Back To Top    #1

chlorine problems please help

I have an above ground pool, roughly 8000 gallons with a good size sand filter and pump.
    I have been having a problem for a while, I take the water to be tested at the pool supply store and everything looks good on the test except the FC doesn't show. Even though I just shocked the pool the day before.
    every time I have the water tested it shows 0 chlorine every time. and the test strips never show chlorine either.
    It seems I have to keep a lot of chlorine in the pool just to keep the algae from forming. I have even tried using a lot more shock than I should and still nothing
    please help with my chlorine problem? thanks

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: chlorine problems please help

What is your CYA level? If it is low, or zero, chlorine will deplete very rapidly due to UV from the Sun. CYA prevents the FC from dropping as fast. In the Texas sun, I think you should target a CYA level of 50 ppm.

Recommend you get a TF100 test kit (available at tftestkits.net) and do your own testing.
    27,500 gallon in ground gunite/plaster (1995). Attached Spa with fountain, spillway, and 2 lion heads streaming into the pool. Hayward pump and AO Smith UST1152 1.5 hp motor (single speed). Hayward 60 sq ft DE Filter (Model DE-6000). Kreepy Krauly cleaner.

3. Back To Top    #3

thanks I think I will order the kit.

4. Back To Top    #4

Epro is correct, you need a test kit to perform your own accurate tests and to monitor your water frequently if you're monitoring a problem. Pool store testing is *not* accurate often and remember that their purpose for doing it free is that you'll walk out of there with $$chemicals$$ you may not even need.

Test kits we recommend are either the Taylor's K-2006 or the TF-100 which is only available at TFTestkits.net or PoolSupplyWorld.com. The Taylor test kit can be found at TFTestkits.net or many other online dealers, sometimes locally.

How does your water look?
    My Amazon Smile for November12K Fiberglass IG, Infinity 4000 automatic cover, SWCG, Hayward Sand Filter, Hayward 1.5 Pump, Doheny Discovery Robot, Savi Melody LED pool lights, outdoor speakers and other assorted doo-dads. Sundance Altamar Hot Tub.
    Our pool build--> Our Pool Solved Our Sloping Yard Skippy's Cheap Pool Cooler -->Skippy's New Fountain

5. Back To Top    #5

ok I've tested the pool for Chloramines, and it is crazy high, i stopped at 20 drops x 0.5 =10(i didn't want to waste the testing solution). Now i have read the main way to fix this is super chlorination, problem i have an above ground pool with a liner which i think to much chlorine could damage it. so is there an alternative for removing the chloramines

6. Back To Top    #6

Double check the fc and cc and run the tests to conclusion. See the link in my signature for a video of the test.

What is the cyanuric acid level?

When did the problem first appear?