1. Back To Top    #1

New Pool Deck - Cracking Issues - Resolution Options

Facts:

Deck was poured on 7.13 from ~11:00 am to 3:00 pm
    First Cracks appeared 7.14
    Expansion Joints cut 7.15 around 3:00 pm ~48 hours after pour
    July 13 the temperature was 96 degrees
    July 14th the temperature was 95 degrees
    July 15th the temperature was 96 degrees.

Based on everything I have read, the expansion joints should have been cut between 6 and 18 hours after pour. (The hotter the sooner so closer to the 6 hour mark). Owner of the pool company came out yesterday and said that while concrete is going to crack, the joints were not cut in a timely manner. He has offered the following.

1) Bust it all up and re-pour (at his expense) if we have an engineer come out (at our expense) and verify that the soil conditions etc., are conducive to re-pour. Honestly I am not sure what all this would entail from an engineer’s standpoint.

2) Bust up and re-pour the cracked sections and then apply either Kool Deck or an Acrylic product so that we can get consistent coloring on the decking. It is my understanding that Kool Deck needs to be applied to the concrete as it cures so I am not sure if that is a viable option.

In your expert opinions, what is my best option or others options that I might not be considering? I guess I could also have them bust up the decking and do pavers or travertine etc., and pay the difference.

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

This is where the bobcat was driven up on the decking while building the waterfall.

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]
    My Pool Build Thread: 21 x 40 Freeform Gunite Pool, 12" Tanning Ledge, 3.5 shallow graduating to 4.5, 8.5 deep end, 4' Waterfall which doubles as a diving ledge with 6' x 4' Grotto underneath, 670 sq. ft., 106 Linear ft., Rock Salted Concrete Deck, Pentair 520 Filter, Intelli flow 3 HP VS pump, (4) Color LED lights, Intelli-Chlor SWG, Hot Springs Vanguard Hot Tub with ACE and BT Sound System, ODK, TF100

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: New Pool Deck - Cracking Issues - Resolution Options

No clue as to the best option - but just wanted to say sorry you are going through this. That bites.
    ~Wendy
    33'X17' Sports Pool (3'6"-5'-4'6") 7' flush Spa, Blue Granite PT, Waterfalls, Weeping Wall, Baja Ledge and Doggie Beach Entry! Pentair Clean and Clear 420, IntelliFlo XF Pump, SuperFlo 1.5 HP Feature Pump, MasterTemp Heater, Pal-Treo LEDs, Dolphin M4, Liquid Chlorine & TF-100 - My Build Thread

3. Back To Top    #3

#1 but the part about the engineer is ridiculous. The expansion joints aren't even cut deep enough in some of your pics....looks less than a 1/4" in some spots. That just isn't going to cut it. Your PB needs to fix his(subcontractors) mistake, he even admitted it was not done right.
    Anthony&Sylvan 18x34 gunite freeform in process

4. Back To Top    #4

Who prepped the subgrade? That's who's job It is to make sure that soil conditions are suitable to pour on. If you go with A repour consider asking them to tool the joints into the concrete while they are finishing it rather than cutting joints later.
    18' x 36' saltwater inground vinyl pool

5. Back To Top    #5

Forget the engineer. That is ludicrous...and I'm an engineer!

He drove his Bobcat on the concrete and broke it. Looks like no matter what he is re-pouring.

ac

6. Back To Top    #6

If the sub grade is bad, it is the builder responsible. Concrete should not crack that soon as it's still green and early in the curing process. It appears they did not keep it wetted after the pour and the heat caused it to set too fast causing the fractures. I would think the builder would have checked the ground and forms before allowing concrete to be poured. It's his responsibility to do a sanity check at each major phase of the project.

7. Back To Top    #7

I can't help but sorry this has happen to you. Sucks when you just had it poured. And the builder should fix this for you. And what does he expect from an engineer. Does he what the engineer to tell him it was installed incorrectly. that seems obvious. I have a small concrete deck and it's not cracked that much and it's 20 plus year old.

8. Back To Top    #8

He said that about the eng. and you paying to get you to skip that part. Push back and say NO! The ground was good enough for him to the first pour and nothing has changed! Do a new pour and build in the joints like stated above. It is YOUR money and yard he messed up!

Kim
    TFP Moderator 33x52 round AG 25,600 gals Sand Filter 1.5hp Pump - 2 Speed, SLAM, Pool School, Recommended Levels, Recommended Chemicals, Pool Math, Chlorine/CYA Chart, TF-100 Test Kit

9. Back To Top    #9

That cracking is terrible. I've had a lot of concrete work done in the past, mostly sidewalks. It appears they used a hot load of concrete to pour your decking. It will deteriorate more in a very short time.

I wouldn't pay and would insist on it getting it completely ripped out and replaced.

10. Back To Top    #10

That sucks. I know you have to be so disappointed. I agree with the others, push back. They did not do the pour correctly, they should rip it out and redo it. I hope you can have a resolution soon.
    24,000 gallon free form IG gunite pool w/8' round raised spa. 700 sq ft pea gravel decking. Tahoe blue pebble tech. Pentair 2HP Sulerflo pump. CCP 420 cartridge filter. Polaris 280. 320 inline chlorinator. Mastertemp 400,000 btu heater. Pentair LED light in pool and spa. Easy Touch automated system.

11. Back To Top    #11

I completely agree. In no way should concrete crack like that within days of being poured. That shows fault with the person who poured the deck not with problems with the surface underneath. If prepped correctly you should have no problems with cracking until major weather cycles. That is when the engineer comes in. If the soil is not stable enough for decking then that kind of fault would show up over time not immediately after the pour. That is usually due to settling of the dirt etc... I am guessing they didn't compact the soil and provide enough thickness to the concrete that is why it cracked so immediately.
    Pool is done! Only took 17 months! - Natural shape in-ground pool: 37x23, 505sq ft, 96ft perimeter, 7ft deep end, 18,950 gallons, tanning ledge, blue surf pebble sheen/luminous blue blend, Belgard coping, 910 sqft paver deck/walkways, retaining walls out the yinyang. Jandy SWG, 2 LED Color lights, VS 2HP Pump, 460sqft cartridge filter, PDA RS P8 controller. My build

12. Back To Top    #12

Quote Originally Posted by Abe View Post
    That cracking is terrible. I've had a lot of concrete work done in the past, mostly sidewalks. It appears they used a hot load of concrete to pour your decking. It will deteriorate more in a very short time.

I wouldn't pay and would insist on it getting it completely ripped out and replaced.
    So you believe that the cracks will continue to appear? If it is an issue where they simply did not get the expansion joints cut in time, then I think I am okay with the plan 2) Bust up and re-pour the cracked sections and then apply Acrylic product so that we can get consistent coloring on the decking. However, I have no idea how to tell if it is a long term issue or not. Do most of you believe it is potentially a long term issue that fixing only the currently cracked areas + Acrylic will not remedy?
    My Pool Build Thread: 21 x 40 Freeform Gunite Pool, 12" Tanning Ledge, 3.5 shallow graduating to 4.5, 8.5 deep end, 4' Waterfall which doubles as a diving ledge with 6' x 4' Grotto underneath, 670 sq. ft., 106 Linear ft., Rock Salted Concrete Deck, Pentair 520 Filter, Intelli flow 3 HP VS pump, (4) Color LED lights, Intelli-Chlor SWG, Hot Springs Vanguard Hot Tub with ACE and BT Sound System, ODK, TF100

13. Back To Top    #13

Quote Originally Posted by SoonerWing View Post
    So you believe that the cracks will continue to appear?

Absolutely.

14. Back To Top    #14

So He accepted to do the job, mess up and then ask you to hire someone (at your cost) to find out if he can fix the mistake? What is he going to do if that engineer tells you the soil is to bad for re-pour?
    Like other allready posted : you have a contract asking him to make a pool deck without cracks for xx dollar. The deck is not what you were promised. Good luck mr. Builder, solved it please, no matter how and at what cost.
    40000 liter in ground vinyl pool with SWG : http://www.troublefreepool.com/threa...he-Netherlands

15. Back To Top    #15

So I have had this 1 salt divot that I could never get cleaned out. I just thought that maybe all the dirt funneled there for some reason. Upon further inspection it appears that the concrete right there is only 1/4" - 1/2" thick. What could have caused that? Sorry for the quality of the photo's as it was still dark outside when I took them.

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]