Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Can't find my autofill valve ...

1. Back To Top    #1

Can't find my autofill valve ...

We recently bought a house and the pool is in good shape.

We made sure the pool was topped off before we went on vacation and came back to what was certainly the same amount of water, perhaps more (this is impossible after a week in direct Texas sunlight in August ....)

We noticed the water level was way too high though and staying very steady. We siphoned some water out so the skimmers would once again be able to work, but the next day it was filled again.

It's become obvious we have an autofill valve (....or something) somewhere that's maintaining our water level. It desperately needs to be adjusted before we end up with foundation problems, but we can't find it. There is nothing along the edges of the pool, in the skimmer, or on the skimmer flaps that keep debris from floating back into the pool.

Could it be somewhere in the pool equipment? I'm not sure where to look or what I'm looking for ....

Thanks so much for your help in advance!!

2. Back To Top    #2

In the Industry

Re: Can't find my autofill valve ...

Look all around the perimeter of the pool for a deck lid, which would cover a float style autofill. Also find your fill line valve, which should be connected to a water line around the house, it probably will be a brass valve. Finally, look around the tile lime of the pool for a 3/4" or 1" pipe that is where the fill water comes into the pool. Its possible that the fill valve is broken and water is slowly trickling into the pool

3. Back To Top    #3

Quote Originally Posted by OldPoolMan View Post
    Look all around the perimeter of the pool for a deck lid, which would cover a float style autofill. Also find your fill line valve, which should be connected to a water line around the house, it probably will be a brass valve. Finally, look around the tile lime of the pool for a 3/4" or 1" pipe that is where the fill water comes into the pool. Its possible that the fill valve is broken and water is slowly trickling into the pool
    As usual great advice.

If you're unsure of which pipe it is, turn on your pump and look for the return which isn't pumping water like the others, that's most likely your autofill.

For the brass valve, check around your sprinkler valves, many auto-fills are connected through irrigation. The actual float is pretty easy to adjust, mine has a screw that raises and lowers the float.
    13K Gallon IG Pool/Spa -- First time pool owners -- Completed in 2015 Caribbean Blue Pebble Tec Pentair 4000 Series 47 sq. ft. D.E. Filter Pentair IntelliFlo Variable Speed Pump Pentair SWG Jandy LXi Heater 400,000 BTU S.R. Smith Typhoon Slide Pentair LED 12v Lights Dolphin Nautilus Robotic Cleaner TF-100 Test Kit
    Our Build Thread

4. Back To Top    #4

Your system may be completely different that mine, but my Auto-fill presents itself on the wall of the pool as a return jet. Looks just like all the other return jets. If you turn you're pump on and feel return flow from 4 out of 5 returns, it's likely the one without any flow is the autofill port. From that point on the wall you should look on the deck or nearby for any valves or "manhole" covers that may contain the autofill mechanism.
    21K gal 16' x 40' in-ground pool built 1959, old school with Jacuzzi bronze pump, American Products 24" Sand Filter & Americana Multiport valve, Jandy Lite2 millivolt heater, Coverstar cover, and classic Kreepy Krauly.