Which comes first the TA or the PH?

Aug 12, 2015
Decatur/AL
After a week straight of rain and a weeked of travel, I was finally able to get in and backwash/rinse the filter and vaccuum/brush the pool. I noticed some algae gathering in spots and my chlorine last night was 0. I added 4 gallons of 8.25% bleach.
This morning
FC 1.5
PH 8.2+
Alk 70
24000 galloon above ground 33' round vinyl lined pool.
My pump/filter run constantly creating a whirlpool type motion in my pool so the water is constantly moving. I brushed the pool again this morning to get the remaining algae that was still trying to gather in piles into solution to kill it. I have the age old Chicken/Egg question. Which do I correct first, raising the alkalinity or lowering the PH? Thank you in advance for your assistance.

Most of what I've read says do pH, then TA if you need to do TA at all. Most folks let it ride to see what works best for their pool. I've seen as low as 50 for TA if that's what makes the pH stabilize.

- - - Updated - - -

Also, the test kits top out at 8.2 so you might be even higher than that. So you may take multiple MA additions before you get down to your target. Use care not to overshoot as you bring it down.

After a week straight of rain and a weeked of travel, I was finally able to get in and backwash/rinse the filter and vaccuum/brush the pool. I noticed some algae gathering in spots and my chlorine last night was 0. I added 4 gallons of 8.25% bleach.
This morning
FC 1.5
PH 8.2+
Alk 70
24000 galloon above ground 33' round vinyl lined pool.
My pump/filter run constantly creating a whirlpool type motion in my pool so the water is constantly moving. I brushed the pool again this morning to get the remaining algae that was still trying to gather in piles into solution to kill it. I have the age old Chicken/Egg question. Which do I correct first, raising the alkalinity or lowering the PH? Thank you in advance for your assistance.
Welcome to the forum.

As mentioned, pH first. Eventually TA will find a happy spot, or it can be encouraged there.

Your other issue is all the FC loss. 4 gallons (512oz) of 8.25% bleach in a 24,000 gallon pool should have raised your FC to 14ppm, which means that you lost 12.5ppm overnight!

You will need to SLAM your pool to kill the algae.

With the large FC loss you need to start this soon before the algae gets extreme. You are catching the algae bloom early, which is good.

How do you currently test your pool water?

Dom

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.