Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Which comes first the TA or the PH?

1. Back To Top    #1

Which comes first the TA or the PH?

After a week straight of rain and a weeked of travel, I was finally able to get in and backwash/rinse the filter and vaccuum/brush the pool. I noticed some algae gathering in spots and my chlorine last night was 0. I added 4 gallons of 8.25% bleach.
    This morning
    FC 1.5
    PH 8.2+
    Alk 70
    24000 galloon above ground 33' round vinyl lined pool.
    My pump/filter run constantly creating a whirlpool type motion in my pool so the water is constantly moving. I brushed the pool again this morning to get the remaining algae that was still trying to gather in piles into solution to kill it. I have the age old Chicken/Egg question. Which do I correct first, raising the alkalinity or lowering the PH? Thank you in advance for your assistance.
    33ft Above ground
    24,000 gallons
    Chlorine

2. Back To Top    #2

TFP Guide

Re: Which comes first the TA or the PH?

Most of what I've read says do pH, then TA if you need to do TA at all. Most folks let it ride to see what works best for their pool. I've seen as low as 50 for TA if that's what makes the pH stabilize.

- - - Updated - - -

Also, the test kits top out at 8.2 so you might be even higher than that. So you may take multiple MA additions before you get down to your target. Use care not to overshoot as you bring it down.
    Bob - Palm Beach by San Juan Pools. approx 5000 gals., Pentair 320 cartridge filter (all new guts installed by me), Goldline SWG, 'New to me' Kreepy Krauly Sand Shark, Intermec 104 Timer Test kit: TF-100 w/Speed Stir

3. Back To Top    #3

TFP Guide

Re: Which comes first the TA or the PH?

Quote Originally Posted by Jenniffer View Post
    After a week straight of rain and a weeked of travel, I was finally able to get in and backwash/rinse the filter and vaccuum/brush the pool. I noticed some algae gathering in spots and my chlorine last night was 0. I added 4 gallons of 8.25% bleach.
    This morning
    FC 1.5
    PH 8.2+
    Alk 70
    24000 galloon above ground 33' round vinyl lined pool.
    My pump/filter run constantly creating a whirlpool type motion in my pool so the water is constantly moving. I brushed the pool again this morning to get the remaining algae that was still trying to gather in piles into solution to kill it. I have the age old Chicken/Egg question. Which do I correct first, raising the alkalinity or lowering the PH? Thank you in advance for your assistance.
    Welcome to the forum.

As mentioned, pH first. Eventually TA will find a happy spot, or it can be encouraged there.

Your other issue is all the FC loss. 4 gallons (512oz) of 8.25% bleach in a 24,000 gallon pool should have raised your FC to 14ppm, which means that you lost 12.5ppm overnight!

You will need to SLAM your pool to kill the algae.

With the large FC loss you need to start this soon before the algae gets extreme. You are catching the algae bloom early, which is good.

How do you currently test your pool water?

Dom
    Dom - TFP Guide
    Intex 18' X 48" Ultra Frame AGP 6700 gallons | Two Intex CS8110 SWG's | Hayward Pro Series 21" Sandfilter | Hayward 1.5HP Power Flo Matrix pump | Hayward Thru-wall Skimmer | Wanda the Whale | 72 sq ft of Sungrabber Solar Panels with Hayward GLC-2P-A | Taylor K2006 Test Kit, Sample Sizer & Speed Stir | Click Here To Become a TFP Supporter!