Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: NEw to TFP

1. Back To Top    #1

NEw to TFP

After 4 frustrating years of bad advice from multiple pool stores, I have found TFP and will prepare to open next spring to a new school of thought. My Taylor test kit arrived today and I am full of excitement. Why wait you ask? That is because this July some pool store employee, whom I was thinking was a trusted pool expert... had me add CYA when I was testing at 70. Yes and now my pool is running at CYA of 180. So while my pool is still clear for now, I know I am currently dumping in way more chlorine than I should be. But as temperatures here are in the low 70's and we will close the pool in a few weeks, we have decided not to drain the pool to lower the levels until we close for the winter. So for now... Lots of great reading here, I will study up for the new season!
    I will also be removing the Nature-2 cartridge this winter but am thinking I will leave the in-line chlorinator in just in case we can pull off a vacation and need to chlorinate with thichlor pucks in our absence.
    Looking forward to a Trouble Free Pool!
    Thanks in advance.
    30ft 54" AG Strong Pool Collosseum aprox. 29,000 gallons
    Waterway 2HP 2 speed pump (10hrs/day)
    Sta-Rite 150sq ft Cartridge filter
    Taylor K-2006

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: NEw to TFP

leave the inline chlorinator for sure, just make sure there are no pucks in it. you can use it when you go on vacation like you said. sounds like you are setup for success for next year! will you be completely draining the pool for the winter, or do you leave it up?
    Dan
    9,000 gallon in-ground Saltwater pool, plaster, cartridge filer, 1.0 hp pump, Hayward T-15 SWCG, TF-100
    Pool School - Chlorine / CYA Chart; Pool School - Test Kits Compared;

3. Back To Top    #3

Happy to have you join us. Keep in touch!
    Pat (a.k.a. Texas Splash) ~ My Pool: Viking Fiberglass; 17,888 Gal; Waterway Supreme 2-sp/2-hp pump; Hayward Ctg filter; TF-100 w/ Speed Stir
    Vital Links: POOL SCHOOL, RECOMMENDED LEVELS, RECOMMENDED CHEMICALS, Poolmath Calculator, SLAM, Chlorine/CYA CHART.
    If you enjoyed your TFP experience, please consider donating to Support TFP!

4. Back To Top    #4

Get some practice with your kit by testing your fill water source for TA and CH. Then you'll know when you refill a bit more about what your chemistry levels will be at next year.
    Joel - TFP Moderator - Minnesota - **Become a TFP Supporter!** Helpful Links: ABCs of Pool Water Chemistry - SLAM Procedure - Chlorine/CYA Chart
    40x20 Pool: 32K Gallons * Vinyl * Bleach Chlorination * Hayward S270T Sand Filter * Pentair SuperFlo 1 HP * Teledyne/Laars Heater * AquaVac Tigershark * TF-100 w/ SpeedStir
    Isolated Spa - 345 Gallons

5. Back To Top    #5

When I redid our pool and the pool pad plumbing, I also put back the puck in-line chlorinator just in case. I still have some pucks from 'back in the day' and I'll use them to raise my CYA a bit. I'm loving my Liquidator thus far.
    ----Chris----
    25k IG/Spa Figure 8, 18x36, Pebble Sheen Blue Granite, Sta-Rite S8M150 Cartridge Filter, Pentair 460805 400k BTU Heater & 011018 IntelliFlo VarSpd
    Liquidator, Fafco Solar Heat, Polaris PB460 Booster Pump w/280 cleaner, Katchaleaf Cover, TF100 Test Kit, FAKE MAIN DRAIN

6. Back To Top    #6

Welcome to TFP
    6280 Gal Intex 17' x 52" Metal Frame AG
    2500 GPH Filter Pump
    Intex Krystal clear SWG
    Taylor K-2005 With FAS-DPD Drop TEST KIT And Speedstir
    Intex Robot Pool Cleaner

7. Back To Top    #7

Thanks, I tried running a set of tests, but I think everything is so far out of wack from what the pool store had me put in. I know my CYA was reading over 200. I did the half pool, half tap water test. Not good. And I know i p've dumped in a ton of chlorine which is now just stuck there. I couldn't even get my test to turn clear. So I gave up and drained half the pool. I know it needed to be done. I'm sure it needs more than that.
    30ft 54" AG Strong Pool Collosseum aprox. 29,000 gallons
    Waterway 2HP 2 speed pump (10hrs/day)
    Sta-Rite 150sq ft Cartridge filter
    Taylor K-2006

8. Back To Top    #8

Next time you get a chance, post a full set of numbers and we'll compare notes to see how you're doing.
    Pat (a.k.a. Texas Splash) ~ My Pool: Viking Fiberglass; 17,888 Gal; Waterway Supreme 2-sp/2-hp pump; Hayward Ctg filter; TF-100 w/ Speed Stir
    Vital Links: POOL SCHOOL, RECOMMENDED LEVELS, RECOMMENDED CHEMICALS, Poolmath Calculator, SLAM, Chlorine/CYA CHART.
    If you enjoyed your TFP experience, please consider donating to Support TFP!

9. Back To Top    #9

any update? not sure if draining 1/2 the pool was enough. have you run new tests?
    Dan
    9,000 gallon in-ground Saltwater pool, plaster, cartridge filer, 1.0 hp pump, Hayward T-15 SWCG, TF-100
    Pool School - Chlorine / CYA Chart; Pool School - Test Kits Compared;