Help me open my pool

aaronp

Aug 28, 2008
Before I open my pool, I need to learn how the various plumbing parts interact.
I've never seen the pool empty, or clean, but I'm pretty sure it has a main drain in the deep end.
I have two manhole things. The one on the left has two holes in the bottom and obviously is part of the skimmer. Is there supposed to be a door on that skimmer? The one on the right is about 3 feet deep and also has 2 holes in the bottom (all 2 inch I think). I think this one might have something to do with the main drain?
I have a basket full of parts, I'm pretty sure that there is a skimmer basket for the left hole, is something supposed to be in the right one? Here's a picture:
3407135603_ca98c28e85.jpg

Lovely green!
Here's my filter and pump.
3407947744_c4fee58e26.jpg

(I guess the electric was too much for the heat pump, note the pipes)
I also have one of these:
3407941534_3a29797b9c.jpg

Hope those pictures worked...

Where to start . . .

If you have a main drain, it must be plumbed to the skimmer one way or another, because there is only one pipe coming to the pump. It is fairly common for the main drain to be plumbed to the second pipe on the skimmer, but then I am not sure what the second covered opening near there would be.

It looks like the ball valve (red handle) just before the pump is turned off. You will want to turn that on. It is also likely that there are drain plugs that need to be reinstalled in the pump and the filter. Many people put those plugs in the pump strainer basket over the winter.

On the return side of the equipment pad there is another ball valve and then a three way valve (black). The black valve is currently set to send water equally to the two return pipes. The first return pipe presumably goes to the returns in the pool. You haven't given us enough information to figure out where the second return pipe must go. Perhaps there are deck jets, or some other water feature that it controls. I suspect that the smaller ball valve (red handle) near the black thing also has something to do with this water feature, whatever it is.

Yes, there should be a skimmer basket in the skimmer. There is also normally a weir, a floating door, that only allows the very top surface layer of water to enter the skimmer. It might be well back inside the mouth of the skimmer.

I don't recognize the black thing with what appears to be four pipes going down from it.

After I posted this, I started doing some internet research.
I've since updated my signature line, and answered a few of my own questions.

The hole on the left is the skimmer, the hole on the right is a Paramount Debris Containment Canister.
The last picture down is a Paramount Water Valve and it has 6 pipes coming out of it. (Hard to tell from pic).

The Debris Containment Canister is last in line to the pump. The main drain empties into this canister, as does the skimmer next to it. It filters out the stuff that falls to the bottom of the pool. The skimmer gets the stuff floating on top.

I believe the pressure side of the pump goes to 1. The side wall outlets and 2. The Paramount Water Valve which distributes the water to the in-floor cleaning system. But I will have to wait until I have the pump running to test this theory.

The big question is, does any of it work?

Hi and welcome ! :wave:

Once we help you get your filter situation worked out the rest is easy...

In the mean time might I also suggest getting a leaf net and see if you can get any debris out of the pool. I am sure there is some in there and that will surely contribute to your algae troubles. Even if you cant see the bottom of the pool try to get as much out as you can then once you get your filter running you will be one step ahead of the game ...

Post pictures as you go along so we can all watch your pool clear up !!

Good Luck !!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.