To high pressure?

Aug 26, 2015
Kamloops
Tech was out today to pressure test lines of pool at new house I have just purchased. He checked both lines empty with no water at 120 psi air pressure. The lines were both 2" pvc and they are fairly old. Both lines held no pressure. When I saw what pressure he was using I questioned him. He told me that he usually used a lower pressure and didn't know why it was set so high. Is there a chance he blew my pipes?

I'm not sure why he used air instead of water. I've only seen water being used and it was done up to 30 psi as you'll likely never see your pool plumbing much higher than that. However I guess pressurizing with air might be quicker and easier than water but that is just a guess.

As to him blowing your pipes, I'm not sure. You might try getting them pressurized with water and see if that holds.

As an aside, the gas line I had installed for my pool heater was pressurized to 60 psi for testing. 120 psi does sound rather high to me and it could be possible that something happened.

That is too high for just a standard pressure test. But it should not blow the pipe or fittings unless they were not installed correctly in the first place. 2 in PVC sch 40 is good for approx 250 psi - and burst pressure is even higher. Pressure testing with air is typical and easier.

Any threaded fittings (like on some skimmers) could crack under the pressure of 120 psi. Heck, they can crack with much lower pool pump pressures.

When I was redoing some of the plumbing on my pool (full pool gut and decking jack-hammered out), some of the pipes that have likely been buried there since 1978 when the pool was installed were a bit brittle and discolored and hard and didn't cut so nicely with the typical bladed cutters. They cracked and broke up all jagged like.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.