Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: To high pressure?

1. Back To Top    #1

To high pressure?

Tech was out today to pressure test lines of pool at new house I have just purchased. He checked both lines empty with no water at 120 psi air pressure. The lines were both 2" pvc and they are fairly old. Both lines held no pressure. When I saw what pressure he was using I questioned him. He told me that he usually used a lower pressure and didn't know why it was set so high. Is there a chance he blew my pipes?

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: To high pressure?

I'm not sure why he used air instead of water. I've only seen water being used and it was done up to 30 psi as you'll likely never see your pool plumbing much higher than that. However I guess pressurizing with air might be quicker and easier than water but that is just a guess.

As to him blowing your pipes, I'm not sure. You might try getting them pressurized with water and see if that holds.

As an aside, the gas line I had installed for my pool heater was pressurized to 60 psi for testing. 120 psi does sound rather high to me and it could be possible that something happened.
    ----Chris----
    25k IG/Spa Figure 8, 18x36, Pebble Sheen Blue Granite, Sta-Rite S8M150 Cartridge Filter, Pentair 460805 400k BTU Heater & 011018 IntelliFlo VarSpd
    Liquidator, Fafco Solar Heat, Polaris PB460 Booster Pump w/280 cleaner, Katchaleaf Cover, TF100 Test Kit, FAKE MAIN DRAIN

3. Back To Top    #3

Sorry forgot to mention previous owner had passed away and pool had not been started up this year

4. Back To Top    #4

That is too high for just a standard pressure test. But it should not blow the pipe or fittings unless they were not installed correctly in the first place. 2 in PVC sch 40 is good for approx 250 psi - and burst pressure is even higher. Pressure testing with air is typical and easier.
    25' x 13' Roman, 12000 gal IGP, Plaster, with 500 gal Spa
    SWG, 1 HP Max Flo Pump, C-900 cartridge filter
    Solar heat

5. Back To Top    #5

Any threaded fittings (like on some skimmers) could crack under the pressure of 120 psi. Heck, they can crack with much lower pool pump pressures.

When I was redoing some of the plumbing on my pool (full pool gut and decking jack-hammered out), some of the pipes that have likely been buried there since 1978 when the pool was installed were a bit brittle and discolored and hard and didn't cut so nicely with the typical bladed cutters. They cracked and broke up all jagged like.
    ----Chris----
    25k IG/Spa Figure 8, 18x36, Pebble Sheen Blue Granite, Sta-Rite S8M150 Cartridge Filter, Pentair 460805 400k BTU Heater & 011018 IntelliFlo VarSpd
    Liquidator, Fafco Solar Heat, Polaris PB460 Booster Pump w/280 cleaner, Katchaleaf Cover, TF100 Test Kit, FAKE MAIN DRAIN