Yellowish/brownish cloudy areas

Marci M

LifeTime Supporter
Jul 23, 2015
Kapolei, Hawaii
Hello,

Fairly new to TFP. Completed my first drain/refill and slam a few weeks ago. Since the my pool has been extremely clear and very easy to manage with bleach.:cool:

For the past few days we have noticed yellow/brown cloudy areas around the pool. I have tried adding my maintenance bleach directly onto it, but that doesn't seem to work. :confused:

I am not able to test my water at this time because there is a storm right now.
My test from yesterday:
FC: 3.5
CC: .5
PH: 7.8
TA: 120
CYA: 40

Any thoughts and suggestions would be very much appreciated.

Mahalo!

Marci

Hello Marci! Before we make too many assumptions, let's clarify a couple tings:
- The cloudy areas, they are just that cloudy? Or is it stuck to the surface of the pool?
- Do you always let the FC get that close to the recommended minimum? Is there any chance at all it may have slipped below that at one point?
- Does your water come from a city source, or do you use a well?
- Have you added anything other than bleach to your water and what is typically listed on our page: Pool School - Recommended Pool Chemicals
Let's start there and see what we can come-up with.

The cloudy areas seem to be a floating yellow/brown cloud that does not settle in the pool surface. As soon as there is movement in the water it disappears.

My FC is usually around 5 but we've had a lot of rain and had to drain it a bit. When it was at 3.5 I added enough bleach to get it to 7.

My water is from our Board of Water Supply, not a well.

I have not added anything but bleach to my pool. My chemical levels were in range, so I saw no need to add anything else.

Thank you for responding to me..AGAIN!

It's good the yellow/floating stuff is just that - floating and mobile. That tends to indicate it's more in the dust/pollen area. Have you ever tried a skimmer sock? You can use a an old nylon or paint strainer net to wrap inside your pool skimmer. It helps to catch a lot of fine stuff like that as well as small bugs.

Texas Splash;914421 Have you ever tried a skimmer sock? You can use a an old nylon or paint strainer net to wrap inside your pool skimmer. It helps to catch a lot of fine stuff like that as well as small bugs.[/QUOTE said:
I have never tried a skimmer sock. An old nylon, like pantyhose?? I'm trying to picture it...I'm envisioning it being like a coffee filter with the edges folded over the top. Is that correct?

You're exactly right. Old pantyhose or something that with a fine mesh material. Stretch it inside just like a coffee filter (good example). It does wonders. I never run my pool without one just to catch the small bugs. Saves me from having to clean the cartridge filter quite as often too. :)

Hi Marian! Yes, another issue but nothing compared to cleaning a swamp every weekend.

We just opened up the sand filter and it was disgusting! Plus it looks like we have lost a lot of sand. I'll need to replenish that immediately.

Before my pump starts in the morning my pool is SPOTLESS. In under an hour of filtering the pool it looks like I need to vacuum.

How often is the sand in the filter supposed to be changed?

Normally sand will last as long as the filter itself unless something is added to make it coagulate or something. Simply maintaining it via backwashing and rinsing should be all you need to do. But if you somehow lost some, then replacing would be a good thing to do. Glad to hear your pool is in great shape.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I wouldn't think granular stabilizer should present a problem just because it was in your filter. The main reason we recommend the sock method as opposed to letting stabilizer go straight to the filter is because if someone washes their filter before it dissolved, they just wasted the stabilizer. :) But I don't believe CYA itself would cause any problems for the sand itself. Just to make sure ... are you backwashing then rinsing? Perhaps some of the junk from before just never made it all the way out from backwashing?

Nylon sock has been working wonders. Deep cleaned our sand filter. My husband is at the pool store right now buying silica sand. The sales associate told my husband we have yellow algae and tried to sell him "yellow treat". I told him to not buy anything until I get the word from my pool consultants.

You did good resisting the temptation to buy pool store chemicals. Bleach can more than handle any algae issues. Glad the skimmer sock is working. I always have a sock in my skimmer as well. Hopefully the filter issue will help you make more progress.

Deep cleaned sand filter, replenished sand to 75% full and nylon on skimmer basket.

My husband seems to think that I backwash too often. I've been told that I should backwash every time I vacuum my pool. Our normal gauge reading is 18-20.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.