Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Adding DE to the Sand Filter

1. Back To Top    #1

Adding DE to the Sand Filter

I've read that you should add DE to your sand filter to make it more effective until the pressure goes up by 1 psi. Is there a reason why you shouldn't go higher, say 2, 3 or even 5 psi? Just curious because I have seen a significant difference in the water clarity after only 2 days after adding DE.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Adding DE to the Sand Filter

I'm not sure, but my guess is that it will clog up your filter too much or too fast. If you are around to monitor the pressure and backwash as needed then you can probably try more if you want. Glad it is working for you.

Here is an article from Poolschool about it,
    Pool School - Add DE to a Sand Filter
    TFP Moderator
    If TFP helped you or saved you money - Become a TFP Supporter! <--Click here
    2012 build and pics, 20k gal gunite, black onyx pebblesheen, OK flagstone, IntellifoVS, cart filter w/Pleatco, IC40 SWG, Solartouch, 5 12'x4' solar panels, HP50HA heat pump, 8mil solar cover, borates, TF-100 test kit, SONOS, Doheny's Discovery Robot, hot tub on bleach

3. Back To Top    #3

It depends on what your "normal" pressure is.

The TFPC recommendation is that you backwash your filter whenever the pressure increases by 25%. In my case, that translates to ~3.5 psi.

The reason given is energy efficiency.
    23,000 gallons IG gunite, pebble (I think)
    Hayward SP2610X15 1.5 HP Pump, Hayward sand filter
    Mineral Springs SWCG (it's actually Hayward/Goldline), Hayward Goldline T-CELL-15
    Polaris pool cleaner (with booster pump)
    TF-100, SpeedStir, K-1766 Taylor Salt Test, Lamotte Borate test strips

4. Back To Top    #4

Quote Originally Posted by rnaval View Post
    I've read that you should add DE to your sand filter to make it more effective until the pressure goes up by 1 psi. Is there a reason why you shouldn't go higher, say 2, 3 or even 5 psi? Just curious because I have seen a significant difference in the water clarity after only 2 days after adding DE.
    Yes, there is. It will restrict the flow.

If your water is dull and cloudy and you add DE, you'll see the pressure rise 2,3, or even 5 PSI really quick anyway. Some people report within hours.
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!