Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Antifreeze

1. Back To Top    #1

Antifreeze

Is it okay to circulate the antifreeze through the pump and filter and back into the pool? Last fall I blew out the lines and I think I put in roughly 8 gallons (2 gallons in each line). If it is advisable to get as much antifreeze out as possible, how would one go about accomplishing that? I'm thinking to create a bit more suction...close down the line valve at the pump and use the shop-vac pool side...might get a little, anyway.
    Andrew
    25,000 gal IG Vinyl - PoolPilot SC48 SWG - Sta-Rite 1HP/System3 CF - AquaCal HeatPump - TF-100

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Antifreeze

If you used the right kind of antifreeze, RV or swimming pool anti-freeze and not automotive anti-freeze, then it is fine if it gets into the pool. Some people like to startup the pump with the main valve set to vacuum to waste or to backwash, to get as much of the anti-freeze out of the lines and sent to waste as possible, but that isn't really necessary.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

3. Back To Top    #3

Thanks, Jason! I did use RV antifreeze. I think I remember reading that it could be used in potable water lines, so I figured it couldn't be THAT bad. Thank you for the reassurance! No Backwash or waste options as we have a cartridge filter, so I'll just pump it through. Just a few days ago the last bit of snow retreated from the pool cover. Fifty degrees out and the kids are asking to swim!
    Andrew
    25,000 gal IG Vinyl - PoolPilot SC48 SWG - Sta-Rite 1HP/System3 CF - AquaCal HeatPump - TF-100

4. Back To Top    #4

In the Industry

The difference between ethyleneand propyleneglycol will make a big difference, eh?
    http://www.swimmingpool.com/

"Leave the gun...take the cannolis"