Platinum Supporter
May 16, 2011
TX (~30 miles south of Dallas)
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
SWG Type
Pentair Intellichlor IC-60
One PB we interviewed said that you don't want to have too many umbrella holes in your decking because they can trap water and grow algae. Is this a concern for all umbrella holes? How do you prevent the problem, and if algae does start to grow, how do you get it out?

We have several spots that would be convenient put the holes, including for volleyball, but I don't want to open myself up to unnecessary problems.

oh shoot...someone here once posted that they found <something?> which fit in the post holes when not in use to keep them covered. I just can't recall what?? Maybe someone reading this will recall or know?

If you notice algae in them I'd just get some bleach water and a baby bottle brush and go to town scrubbing it out.

We just had our deck poured yesterday...and I had them put 4 sleeves in the deck. This was the only place I found black covers.

When the umbrellas are in storage we can just screw the tops on to them and water/dirt, etc can't get in the sleeve.

http://www.poolfittings.com/pole-holder

- - - Updated - - -

Oh - and these were only around $13 each. Builder quoted me $65! But I think his were brass...the ones from the website I mentioned are plastic. I'm very happy with the way they fit into the deck. Completely flush.

I've had them for ten years. Mine came with covers. After a couple years I just quit using the covers. They would stick on and I would have to go get a pair of pliers to open them. So now they fill with water in the rain and dirt gets in, but I just spray everything out when I'm rinsing down the deck. No real problems.

I've had them for ten years. Mine came with covers. After a couple years I just quit using the covers. They would stick on and I would have to go get a pair of pliers to open them. So now they fill with water in the rain and dirt gets in, but I just spray everything out when I'm rinsing down the deck. No real problems.

I have 4 - I don't use the caps - just too much work. I do the same thing - when I wash off the deck I just spray them out - BUT it does get gross.

Hello, I just had another thought, I also don't know why you couldn't just go to Lowe's, or somewhere like that, and just buy the rubber chair leg caps in that size to fit over them? I'd think that would work fine just to keep the water and stuff out when not in use. I hope this helps. Have a nice day. :)

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.