Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Loooooonng backwash drain - Problems?

1. Back To Top    #1

Question Loooooonng backwash drain - Problems?

Almost done with the build..
    I have a very long (150'+) 2 inch PVC pipe that is connected to the backwash on the DE filter. It goes all around the house and to the front - where I will be draining it to the sewer cleanout via a short 'blue' hose.

My PB mentioned that this long backwash pipe will actually cause me problems because there will be pressure 'loss' and backwash will not be that effective. He says that max of 10 to 15 feet of backwash pipe is most effective.

I am not sure how the length of the backwash pipe will affect backwash performance... thoughts?
    2015 build (link)| 16.5 K gal | Salt Water | IG rect | 35'x16' | 568 sf | 105 ft peri | depth 3'-5' | PV3 in-floor | 2 Venturi skimmers | MDX+SDX drains | T-CELL-15 SWG | Hayward Ecostar VS pump | Hayward 7220 DE Filter | Aqua Cal Icebreaker Heat / Cool pump SQ166 | Hayward Sense & Dispense PH Controller| Omnilogic | Pebble Sheen Blue Surf | Ultra UV | Stenner acid pump | Coverstar Automatic | TF-100

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Loooooonng backwash drain - Problems?

Is there an overall slope to it for gravity to help?
    28,000 gallon freeform, Stonescapes Tropics Blue Minipebble with abalone, 3.5' to 8.5' depth. 2 skimmers, 5 returns, dedicated vacuum port, Dolphin Z5 robot. All Pentair equip: EasyTouch 8, IC60 SWG, VS pump, 520 Cartridge Filter, 3 Intellibrites, 2 Color Cascade Bubblers. TurboTwister Slide and 8' Salt System Jump Board. TF-100. My Jan-Mar 2016 build:
    Waxahachie, TX Owner Build - A race to beat the baby!!

3. Back To Top    #3

That is pretty long, the water will still travel that length. The flow rate will be a little lower than with a shorter run, but it should be fine. I wonder if you might get debris buildup in the pipe though.
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

4. Back To Top    #4

It should be fine for performance. I would suggest a vacuum breaker to allow the water to drain and to avoid water hammer when operating the multiport.

You should also make sure that the de won't cause an issue where you're draining it to.

5. Back To Top    #5

Quote Originally Posted by JamieP View Post
    Is there an overall slope to it for gravity to help?
    There is some slope - the drain is laid out along the longitudinal length of the house - whole yard is graded for drainage lengthwise.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by jblizzle View Post
    That is pretty long, the water will still travel that length. The flow rate will be a little lower than with a shorter run, but it should be fine. I wonder if you might get debris buildup in the pipe though.
    Yes, I thought about that.. but then I am hoping that if I backwash for a slightly longer time after seeing clear water, it should help in flushing the DE away and prevent blocking of the pipe.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by JamesW View Post
    It should be fine for performance. I would suggest a vacuum breaker to allow the water to drain and to avoid water hammer when operating the multiport.

You should also make sure that the de won't cause an issue where you're draining it to.
    Thanks. We don't have a multiport valve. Just the push-twist-pull type (don't know the exact name of this type). I will turn off motor before operating this.
    Where do you suggest I add a vacuum breaker? Currently, I just have the DE backwash port on the filter just connect to the long pipe. The other end opens to the front yard next to the sewer cleanout.

Prior to backwashing, I will be opening the clean out, attaching a small (3') blue hose to the end of the backwash pipe and just dangle the other end slightly into the sewer line - without putting it too much inside (yuck!)
    2015 build (link)| 16.5 K gal | Salt Water | IG rect | 35'x16' | 568 sf | 105 ft peri | depth 3'-5' | PV3 in-floor | 2 Venturi skimmers | MDX+SDX drains | T-CELL-15 SWG | Hayward Ecostar VS pump | Hayward 7220 DE Filter | Aqua Cal Icebreaker Heat / Cool pump SQ166 | Hayward Sense & Dispense PH Controller| Omnilogic | Pebble Sheen Blue Surf | Ultra UV | Stenner acid pump | Coverstar Automatic | TF-100