Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Pool Cover Question

1. Back To Top    #1

Pool Cover Question

In south Texas so don't have to close pool, but we have way too many post oak trees around that let loose of their leaves around thanksgiving every year. Had a leaf cover last year, but I think it would be easier to blow leaves off a vinyl cover. I see now that most of the covers on the market have velcro straps around the sides to hold vinyl water tubes, which in turn hold the cover in place. Was wondering if anyone had ever used large diameter pvc (4" maybe) in those side velcro straps? Anyone see a problem with doing this?

Seems like you could cap one end, then fill with with water or sand before capping the other end. Would be much stronger and last longer, and cheaper too I believe.

Or, I'm all ears for better ideas. Thanks.
    16x32 rectangular, 19,000 gal, gunite, quartzscapes plaster, Hayward Tristar 2 speed 1.5hp pump, 31" Hayward Pro Series sand filter, TF-100 test kit, BBB method rocks

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Pool Cover Question

That sounds like a great idea! I will be following this one!
    Mark
    20'x28' IG, Vinyl, (Sept 2015) 14,900 Gallon, 3'4 to 5'6 deep, SPLAPOOL 1.5 HP, 220v, 2 speed pump, Waterway Carefree 27" 400 LB Sand filter, Digital Nano plus SWG, TF-100 test kit /speed stir. Dolphin Primal x3 robotic cleaner

3. Back To Top    #3

In the Industry

It does sound like a good idea. The only issue is to match the weight of the water bags so that the winds do not blow it off.

4. Back To Top    #4

I think you would be able to make them heavy enough to hold in pretty high winds. The only negative I see is needing extra space to store them during pool season. Easily drain the water from the pipe by using screw in caps. I'm gonna try it this November and I'll come back and report findings then.