Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Dirt, algae? Help!

1. Back To Top    #1

Dirt, algae? Help!

first post of probably many lol. First year with pool in long time. I'm finding that I almost have to vacuum daily. My pool floor is constantly brown and must be vacuumed to show off the new blue liner. Is this normal dirt or an algae problem or what? I recently got the tf100 test kit and water tests almost perfect.
    I have a picture I can post if I can figure out how to do it through the mobile site
    21000 gal.
    Vinyl liner- new spring 2015
    Purex Triton Tagelus sand filter
    Hayward 1hp pump

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Dirt, algae? Help!

Yes, please post a pic and your most current test results.

How do you normally chlorinate your pool?
    My Amazon Smile for November12K Fiberglass IG, Infinity 4000 automatic cover, SWCG, Hayward Sand Filter, Hayward 1.5 Pump, Doheny Discovery Robot, Savi Melody LED pool lights, outdoor speakers and other assorted doo-dads. Sundance Altamar Hot Tub.
    Our pool build--> Our Pool Solved Our Sloping Yard Skippy's Cheap Pool Cooler -->Skippy's New Fountain

3. Back To Top    #3

Welcome to TFP!

If your chlorine usage is normal and maintained according to your CYA level and the Chlorine CYA Chart then it could be dirt, dust or debris. If your chlorine usage or CYA is out of whack then it could be algae.
    TFP Moderator
    If TFP helped you or saved you money - Become a TFP Supporter! <--Click here
    2012 build and pics, 20k gal gunite, black onyx pebblesheen, OK flagstone, IntellifoVS, cart filter w/Pleatco, IC40 SWG, Solartouch, 5 12'x4' solar panels, HP50HA heat pump, 8mil solar cover, borates, TF-100 test kit, SONOS, Doheny's Discovery Robot, hot tub on bleach

4. Back To Top    #4

I will test everything again tomorrow and post results with pic
    21000 gal.
    Hayward 1hp pump

5. Back To Top    #5

picture of when my vac was running yesterday. can see the difference from clean blue liner, to dirty liner
    21000 gal.
    Hayward 1hp pump

6. Back To Top    #6

Readings today:
    FC- 2
    CC- .5
    CH- 250
    TA- 190
    CYA- 45

I am currently chlorinating with Tri-chlor tabs till I use up what I have (probably till close this season) then will switch to nothing but liquid
    21000 gal.
    Hayward 1hp pump

7. Back To Top    #7

Well, there's two possibilities I see going on here McCool:
    1 - Your FC level is quite low. For a CYA of 45 (round-up to 50), your target is FC of 6. So you need to get that increased right away with bleach.
    2 - If the brown feels gritty and moves easily form area to area, or disappears and sinks back down to bottom, it's very possible it's sand from your filter.

Only you can describe and tell us what it's like. Gritty is usually sand, slimy could be algae. If you suspect algae, you could raise your FC to 20 and do an overnight test to confirm. If it's sand, then you may need to inspect your filter for wear/damage such as a broken lateral. I would suspect it's one of those things. If you have any questions about either item, let us know.

- - - Updated - - -

Oh, next time don't forget to post your pH as well. Very important.
    Pat (a.k.a. Texas Splash) ~ My Pool: Viking Fiberglass; 17,888 Gal; Waterway Supreme 2-sp/2-hp pump; Hayward Ctg filter; TF-100 w/ Speed Stir
    Vital Links: POOL SCHOOL, RECOMMENDED LEVELS, RECOMMENDED CHEMICALS, Poolmath Calculator, SLAM, Chlorine/CYA CHART.
    If you enjoyed your TFP experience, please consider donating to Support TFP!

8. Back To Top    #8

Ever put algaecides in that contain copper?
    My Amazon Smile for November12K Fiberglass IG, Infinity 4000 automatic cover, SWCG, Hayward Sand Filter, Hayward 1.5 Pump, Doheny Discovery Robot, Savi Melody LED pool lights, outdoor speakers and other assorted doo-dads. Sundance Altamar Hot Tub.
    Our pool build--> Our Pool Solved Our Sloping Yard Skippy's Cheap Pool Cooler -->Skippy's New Fountain

9. Back To Top    #9

Oops, PH was 7.5, maybe a touch higher. My chlorine has been staying around 5, I backed off the chlorine the last couple days because I've had to shut my pump for most of the day (leaking at pump). I have a new gasket kit coming for my pump and planned to inspect filter then. I did notice tonight after unhooking my vacuum, the water coming from jets did seam to be dirty. I will check the feel of what is collecting on the bottom tomorrow.

I did use some algaecide earlier this summer Yippe.

Thanks for the help!
    21000 gal.
    Hayward 1hp pump