Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: What is this spot? black algae?

1. Back To Top    #1

Lafayette Hill, PA

What is this spot? black algae?

I have a plaster pool. Never have had any issues with algae. I was brushing the pool floor tonight and noticed this spot that would refuse to brush off. I even flipped the pool brush over and pushed the hard side against the spot and nothing.

Is this black algae? I zoomed in very close. The spot looks to be about the size of a half dollar.

25,000, IG, Plaster, Hayward DE Filter, Jandy Pool Pump, 2011 install, No SWG

2. Back To Top    #2

TFP Guide
    'burbs of Augusta, Georgia

Re: What is this spot? black algae?

It almost looks to me like something metal fell into the pool and rusted.
    12K Fiberglass IG, Infinity 4000 automatic cover, SWCG, Hayward Sand Filter, Hayward 1.5 Pump, Savi Melody LED pool lights, outdoor speakers and other assorted doo-dads. Sundance Altamar Hot Tub. Our pool build--> Our Pool Solved Our Sloping Yard Skippy's Cheap Pool Cooler -->Skippy's New Fountain
    CLICK HERE to Become a Supporter

3. Back To Top    #3
    NW Ohio

Re: What is this spot? black algae?

Difficult to say for sure from a picture but based on your description it doesn't look or sound like algae. Usually algae will brush away, especially that size.

Looks like tar to me, has any construction or roof work been going on? That is just a shot in the dark of course. You haven't dropped a penny or any chlorine tablets in near there have you?

From my HTC One via Tapatalk
    JD - 28' Round Above Ground Pool, 17,000 Gallons. Dual speed Jacuzzi pump with cartridge filter.
    Pool School - PoolMath - HIGHLY Recommended Test Kits