Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Initial results are in, and they're not good.

1. Back To Top    #1

Initial results are in, and they're not good.

After running the Taylor test kit against my pool water, here are the results:
    FC 10
    CC 1
    pH 7.0
    TA 160
    CYA 300+ (I cut the sample in thirds and mixed with 2/3 tap water, then *3 to get results. They slightly above 100 on the CYA scale.)

I've also got algae starting to creep on the sides and bottom. Water is otherwise clear.
    I appreciate your help in advance. What should my next steps be?

Note that I just moved into this house and 'inherited' the pool. The vinyl liner is toast and the seller agreed to pay for a new liner, which was going to be installed at the end of this season. Instead of futzing with the water balances, should I just go ahead and have the liner replaced and refill anew? I live in NC so realistically I have only a few more weeks before the season ends.

Thanks in advance.
    15000g vinyl IG
    S244T Hayward sand filter, 2hp pump
    Community well

2. Back To Top    #2

In the Industry

Re: Initial results are in, and they're not good.

Hi Steve, and congrats on the kit!

With your CYA there really is no reasonable way to manage it. You will have to do a considerable water replacement to bring that down to a managable level. Since a liner replacement is in the near future it probably doesn't make sense to replace 80% of your water and then drain again a few weeks later, so I say go for it and get the new liner in. If you will be following TFPC going forward then that new liner should be looking great for many many years to come. Will be easy to see with your perfectly clear water too

From my HTC One via Tapatalk
    JD - 28' Round Above Ground Pool, 17,000 Gallons. Dual speed Jacuzzi pump with cartridge filter. Dual speed 1 HP pump, Hayward S210T sand filter
    Pool School - PoolMath - HIGHLY Recommended Test Kits

3. Back To Top    #3

New liner now. You will have to drain and refill your water a couple of times to get it the CYA down. I say go ahead and drain and put the new liner in.

Kim
    TFP Moderator 33x52 round AG 25,600 gals Sand Filter 1.5hp Pump - 2 Speed, SLAM, Pool School, Recommended Levels, Recommended Chemicals, Pool Math, Chlorine/CYA Chart, TF-100 Test Kit

4. Back To Top    #4

Hi Steve, welcome

If your CYA is truly 300 the only way to lower is replace a lot of water. I think your best bet would be to go ahead w a new liner now.
    Montgomery, AL
    27000 16 x 36 IG, Vinyl, Grecian, Hayward Sand filter, 1 HP Pentair whisperflo motor, Aqua Genie filter not by choice, no extra jets, Dolphin s300i robotic cleaner,Taylor K 2006 test kit, speed-stir which I couldn't live without!

5. Back To Top    #5

Hi Steve,
    If the seller will agree to replace the liner now, rather than at "end of season", do it. You might even get a couple more weeks of swim time in and be a pool refill and algae headache ahead of the game.

Considering your CYA is 300, then looking at 50% drain and refill,
    300/2 = 150
    150/2 = 75
    75/2 = 37.5

You would need to exchange 50% of your water 3 times, which is 1 1/2 the volume of your pool in order to get the CYA down to recommended level.
    2 of the 50% exchanges yeielding CYA of 75% would be manageable, until the liner was replaced.

So, it really comes down to the cost of your water and wheter or not you are willing to do 2 of the 50% water replacements and a SLAM for a few weeks of swim time and then again drain the pool and pay for another pool full of it when the liner is replaced.
    Divin Dave,
    IG Vinyl, 15' x 30', 3 1/2' - 6' deep, Oval, ~15K gal, Intelliclor IC40, Intelliflo VS pump, Clean and Clear 420 Filter, auto-fill-disabled, Retrofit LED Color Light, Dolphin Nautilus Robot, TF100 Test Kit, Taylor K1766 Salt Test Kit, Tftestkit Pressure Gauge.
    www.tftestkits.net Experience- it's what's learned just after you needed it most !!

6. Back To Top    #6

Thanks all for your feedback!
    15000g vinyl IG
    S244T Hayward sand filter, 2hp pump
    Community well

7. Back To Top    #7

Quote Originally Posted by Divin Dave View Post
    So, it really comes down to the cost of your water and wheter or not you are willing to do 2 of the 50% water replacements and a SLAM for a few weeks of swim time and then again drain the pool and pay for another pool full of it when the liner is replaced.
    Not only cost, though. If he doesn't SLAM it before changing the liner, the algae is likely to still be present when he refills after adding the new liner. Who would want to start a "new" pool like that ?
    23,000 gallons IG gunite, pebble (I think)
    Hayward SP2610X15 1.5 HP Pump, Hayward sand filter
    Mineral Springs SWCG (it's actually Hayward/Goldline), Hayward Goldline T-CELL-15
    Polaris pool cleaner (with booster pump)
    TF-100, SpeedStir, K-1766 Taylor Salt Test, Lamotte Borate test strips

8. Back To Top    #8

In the Industry

Quote Originally Posted by Sparkle View Post
    Not only cost, though. If he doesn't SLAM it before changing the liner, the algae is likely to still be present when he refills after adding the new liner. Who would want to start a "new" pool like that ?
    Huh? How do you figure the algae will still be there with a new liner and 100% new water?

JD - 28' Round Above Ground Pool, 17,000 Gallons. Dual speed Jacuzzi pump with cartridge filter. Dual speed 1 HP pump, Hayward S210T sand filter

9. Back To Top    #9

Quote Originally Posted by steve_ View Post
    I live in NC so realistically I have only a few more weeks before the season ends.
    Maybe not, we were swimming up until about the first weekend in November, last year. However, when the cool temperatures and rain moved in, the season ended FAST!

10. Back To Top    #10

I would add 10 ounces of sodium bromide to this pool. This will make it a bromine pool. Bromine does not bind to cya and will snitize the water. You will have to activate daily the bromine with bleach, and a weekly shock with mps or chlorine. The bromine is sensitive to UVB, but this late in the season there is less UVB and therefore not a problem since you have to dicard this water anyway. If you have a cover use it.
    South of France inground rectangular 17k pool - ruber membrane. Sliding dome, black thermal blanket covering 75% of the pool surface. Aqualux 3/4Hp pump, glass media sand filter, Zodillac robot, 110W UV-c lamp, Hayward brominator, Caliente 12kW heat pump.

11. Back To Top    #11

I agree that at extraordinarily high CYA levels that if one does not lower them and one is planning on a full water change later, then converting to a bromine pool is probably the easiest thing to do and it's not expensive either. By doing a full water change later, one can remove all the bromine/bromide in the pool to be able to get back to a chlorine pool after the liner is replaced.
    16,000 gallon outdoor in-ground 16'x32' plaster pool; Pentair Intelliflo VF pump; Pentair IntelliTouch i9+3s control system; Jandy CL-340 square foot cartridge filter
    12 Fafco solar panels; Purex Triton PowerMax 250 natural gas heater (200,000 BTU/hr output); automatic electric pool safety cover; 4-wheel pressure-side "The Pool Cleaner"

12. Back To Top    #12

Quote Originally Posted by Donldson View Post
    Huh? How do you figure the algae will still be there with a new liner and 100% new water?
    Are you saying that skimmers, pumps, pipes, filters, valves etc will kill "their" algae on their own ?
    Mineral Springs SWCG (it's actually Hayward/Goldline), Hayward Goldline T-CELL-15

13. Back To Top    #13

In the Industry

No, but I am saying that the water that flows through there now has 300+ CYA and would need at least 120 FC to reach SLAM level. After a fresh fill and raising the CYA to 30 he will only need 12 FC to reach SLAM level and kill off any residual crud in those areas. That is if there is a need to SLAM afterward at all since the initial post-fill, pre-stabilizer chlorine addition may well be plenty strong enough to remove the organics potentially lurking in his system.

14. Back To Top    #14

Yes, and I am saying that I would want to fix the problem before installing a new liner.

15. Back To Top    #15

But fixing the problem before draining would require LOTS of bleach. Fixing the problem after draining would require significantly less bleach.

Are you saying to drain, fill up, fix the problem, drain, new liner?
    ----Chris----
    25k IG/Spa Figure 8, 18x36, Pebble Sheen Blue Granite, Sta-Rite S8M150 Cartridge Filter, Pentair 460805 400k BTU Heater & 011018 IntelliFlo VarSpd
    Liquidator, Fafco Solar Heat, Polaris PB460 Booster Pump w/280 cleaner, Katchaleaf Cover, TF100 Test Kit, FAKE MAIN DRAIN

16. Back To Top    #16

In the Industry

Quote Originally Posted by Sparkle View Post
    Yes, and I am saying that I would want to fix the problem before installing a new liner.
    I see. Ok, so which are you suggesting Sparkle:

A: A SLAM with FC target of 120-160, or
    B: Replacing 14,000 gallons of water, SLAMing, and then draining again?

17. Back To Top    #17

If the problem that you want to resolve before changing the liner is algae, then the bromine approach is probably the easiest. It works around the CYA issue and while it turns the pool into a bromine pool, the complete water replacement will let one go back to chlorine when the liner is changed and water replaced.
    16,000 gallon outdoor in-ground 16'x32' plaster pool; Pentair Intelliflo VF pump; Pentair IntelliTouch i9+3s control system; Jandy CL-340 square foot cartridge filter
    12 Fafco solar panels; Purex Triton PowerMax 250 natural gas heater (200,000 BTU/hr output); automatic electric pool safety cover; 4-wheel pressure-side "The Pool Cleaner"

18. Back To Top    #18

In the Industry

Bromine is a good idea if OP wants to keep things going through the rest of this season (and credit to tepelus, I hadn't thought of that) but if he is going to replace the liner sooner then I see no need for the extra expense of fixing an algae problem before the new CYA free water is in.

19. Back To Top    #19

I would replace the liner now. Get a solar blanket and warm that new water up. You might get some swim in if the installers are fast. I closed the pool last year in the beginning of November. A solar blanket can make a huge difference down South.
    Inground 13,200 gal Vinyl, Pentair 3/4 hp pump, Pentair Sand Dollar filter, Polaris 280

Pool School, Pool Math, CYA to FC ratio chart, Testing Kits

20. Back To Top    #20

Quote Originally Posted by Agent99 View Post
    Are you saying to drain, fill up, fix the problem, drain, new liner?
    That's one way to do it.

Quote Originally Posted by Donldson View Post
    I see. Ok, so which are you suggesting Sparkle:

A: A SLAM with FC target of 120-160, or
    B: Replacing 14,000 gallons of water, SLAMing, and then draining again?
    A is a ridiculous suggestion.
    B is one way to do it.

Shirley, some of the experts here would have good ideas about how to address the problem before exposing a brand new liner to it. As a matter of fact, there already was an alternative suggested.

Other alternatives could even involve algaecides or other stuff you would not normally want to expose your TFP to.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast