New pool owner. Need advice

So I just checked my filter pressure and it has dropped from 14.5 psi to 12.5 psi. I did not back wash or do anything at all. Why would the pressure drop on its own? It's a brand new, oil filled gauge also, I installed it last week.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Something blocking the suction side can cause that. I've seen it happen if a large pile of leaves ends up in the pump basket.

- - - Updated - - -

Get 5 gallons of bleach and 1 64oz bottle of Algetec. The Algetec will knock out the green and it has a clarifier in it too. Brush the entire pool right after you add both chemicals and run the pump 24/7. It will be blue in hours.

Algetec is not a product we recommend, is it? It isn't even Googlable...

Get 5 gallons of bleach and 1 64oz bottle of Algetec. The Algetec will knock out the green and it has a clarifier in it too. Brush the entire pool right after you add both chemicals and run the pump 24/7. It will be blue in hours.

This is the first time I'm seeing Algatec mentioned on this forum since I started posting a couple of months ago. I'm not sure I would go that route unless one of the chemical experts here tells you to do so.

Bradley, no offense meant. I just didn't want this guy to go down a path that's not TFP approved. :)

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Algaecides don't really kill existing algae, but in some cases they're used as preventative measures such as using it is when winterizing a pool some folks add it, and at that time TFP only recommends Polyquat 60.

To your pressure gauge, if it is glycerin filled, it should have a little brass plunger on it. Yank that out briefly and reinsert. Oh, and have rag handy to sop up the oozed glycerin. :) That may or may not help things on your gauge but something to try just in case.

Well, my pool is no longer green. It's blue and very clear. Still has a couple days to go to get crystal clear, it's just ever so slightly cloudy.

You guys weren't kidding that clearing the algae with a CYA of 100 would be difficult/time consuming and somewhat expensive. Since I started this thread, I've gone through about 50 jugs of bleach. I timed it perfectly though and brought my FC level down just below shock level for my party on Saturday evening. Everyone was able to enjoy the blue, not green, pool without ill side affects. I quickly brought the levels back up to shock level after the party. I think running my robot pretty much 24/7 helped also.

I'd like to thank everyone for the help. For others just starting out on this method, hang in there....it works!!!

Congratulations on your hard work and on the clearing pool!

And thank you for adding this data point to the forum - not many people conduct a full SLAM with CYA over 100, so it's quite interesting to read your report of doing so.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Here's a picture from yesterday

33b3f4492d850b212e3702a27cafad2e.jpg

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.