End of season question on CYA

Jun 8, 2014
Rogers, AR
I raised my CYA to 60 during the hot season here in AR. It is now cooling down and I no longer need such a high CYA. I booked my closing for 11/2 should I let it ride through the winter or go ahead and drop it now?

Also, my CH has been dropping from 100 at the beginning of the season to 50. Is this anything to be concerned about?

Today's results

FC 8
CC 0
CH 50
CYA 60
PH 7.3
TA 60
Water temp 78

There's really not much you can do about your CYA at the moment unless you chose to exchange water via a drain/refill. That's the only way to lower CYA. Over the winter, if FC drops to zero, it could effect CYA, but typically it's fine the way it is. CH is really not an issue for your vinyl pool, so you don't have to worry about that either. You can however read-up on this page: Pool School - Closing (Winterizing) Your Above Ground Pool.

Hope that helps.

My pool is full to the brim right now from rain. I usually just let it drop through evaporation but I can start draining it if I need there is a reason to bring that CYA down now. I am just wondering if I can let it ride at 60 until spring or if it would be better to just get it done now.

I take care of my own chemicals for closing but have it professionally closed and I still had chlorine in when I opened this spring. I already set my opening for 4/3/2016 and the water will be around 47 degrees at that time.

- - - Updated - - -

It'll be fine as is.

Okay thanks

Evaporation will not remove CYA; it only removes water (and volatile chemicals, but CYA is not volatile). Physical removal of the water with its contents, so splash-out, carry-out, drain/refill, overflow, all remove both water and its contents.

Evaporation will not remove CYA; it only removes water (and volatile chemicals, but CYA is not volatile). Physical removal of the water with its contents, so splash-out, carry-out, drain/refill, overflow, all remove both water and its contents.

Yes, I know this. Sorry if I wasn't clear. The pool is super full and I really should dump some water but I am leaving it for evaporation. I was thinking if I need to start dumping to lower CYA now would be a great time. I checked pool math and it said I needed to dump 33 % but Woody said to leave it alone so I am. My kids are pretty much done for the season so I will have very little if any splash out and I am getting in the mindset of getting it ready for closing.

Just leave the CYA alone- over the winter you'll probably get a natural drop by next spring so might end up where you want to be without any effort.

Ignore the CH, you've got a vinyl pool which doesn't require added calcium.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.