Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: End of season question on CYA

1. Back To Top    #1

End of season question on CYA

I raised my CYA to 60 during the hot season here in AR. It is now cooling down and I no longer need such a high CYA. I booked my closing for 11/2 should I let it ride through the winter or go ahead and drop it now?

Also, my CH has been dropping from 100 at the beginning of the season to 50. Is this anything to be concerned about?

Today's results

FC 8
    CC 0
    CH 50
    CYA 60
    PH 7.3
    TA 60
    Water temp 78
    16x32 IG rectangular 21,800k new vinyl liner 2014, Triton II TR 50 sand Filter, Pentair 3/4 hsp whisperflow pump, 3 returns, TF100 test kit w/speedstir. Maytronics s 300i robot.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: End of season question on CYA

There's really not much you can do about your CYA at the moment unless you chose to exchange water via a drain/refill. That's the only way to lower CYA. Over the winter, if FC drops to zero, it could effect CYA, but typically it's fine the way it is. CH is really not an issue for your vinyl pool, so you don't have to worry about that either. You can however read-up on this page: Pool School - Closing (Winterizing) Your Above Ground Pool.

Hope that helps.
    Pat (a.k.a. Texas Splash) ~ My Pool: Viking Fiberglass; 17,888 Gal; Waterway Supreme 2-sp/2-hp pump; Hayward Ctg filter; TF-100 w/ Speed Stir
    Vital Links: POOL SCHOOL, RECOMMENDED LEVELS, RECOMMENDED CHEMICALS, Poolmath Calculator, SLAM, Chlorine/CYA CHART.
    If you enjoyed your TFP experience, please consider donating to Support TFP!

3. Back To Top    #3

It'll be fine as is.
    16x32x52" Steel Cornelius Miramar AGP Vinyl liner 13,100 gal. Buried 2 ft.
    2 Speed Hayward Power-Flo Matrix 85 g.p.m. 22" 250lb. sand filter hard plumbed
    Pool Rover Jr., Pool Blaster Max, Diver Dave TF100 Test Kit/Speed Stir
    Margaritaville Frozen Concoction Maker, Liqour Chiller, & Drink Mixer & Party Tub----Collect 'um all!

4. Back To Top    #4

My pool is full to the brim right now from rain. I usually just let it drop through evaporation but I can start draining it if I need there is a reason to bring that CYA down now. I am just wondering if I can let it ride at 60 until spring or if it would be better to just get it done now.

I take care of my own chemicals for closing but have it professionally closed and I still had chlorine in when I opened this spring. I already set my opening for 4/3/2016 and the water will be around 47 degrees at that time.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by woodyp View Post
    It'll be fine as is.
    Okay thanks
    16x32 IG rectangular 21,800k new vinyl liner 2014, Triton II TR 50 sand Filter, Pentair 3/4 hsp whisperflow pump, 3 returns, TF100 test kit w/speedstir. Maytronics s 300i robot.

5. Back To Top    #5

Evaporation will not remove CYA; it only removes water (and volatile chemicals, but CYA is not volatile). Physical removal of the water with its contents, so splash-out, carry-out, drain/refill, overflow, all remove both water and its contents.
    16,000 gallon outdoor in-ground 16'x32' plaster pool; Pentair Intelliflo VF pump; Pentair IntelliTouch i9+3s control system; Jandy CL-340 square foot cartridge filter
    12 Fafco solar panels; Purex Triton PowerMax 250 natural gas heater (200,000 BTU/hr output); automatic electric pool safety cover; 4-wheel pressure-side "The Pool Cleaner"

6. Back To Top    #6

Quote Originally Posted by chem geek View Post
    Evaporation will not remove CYA; it only removes water (and volatile chemicals, but CYA is not volatile). Physical removal of the water with its contents, so splash-out, carry-out, drain/refill, overflow, all remove both water and its contents.
    Yes, I know this. Sorry if I wasn't clear. The pool is super full and I really should dump some water but I am leaving it for evaporation. I was thinking if I need to start dumping to lower CYA now would be a great time. I checked pool math and it said I needed to dump 33 % but Woody said to leave it alone so I am. My kids are pretty much done for the season so I will have very little if any splash out and I am getting in the mindset of getting it ready for closing.

7. Back To Top    #7

Just leave the CYA alone- over the winter you'll probably get a natural drop by next spring so might end up where you want to be without any effort.

Ignore the CH, you've got a vinyl pool which doesn't require added calcium.
    My Amazon Smile for November12K Fiberglass IG, Infinity 4000 automatic cover, SWCG, Hayward Sand Filter, Hayward 1.5 Pump, Doheny Discovery Robot, Savi Melody LED pool lights, outdoor speakers and other assorted doo-dads. Sundance Altamar Hot Tub.
    Our pool build--> Our Pool Solved Our Sloping Yard Skippy's Cheap Pool Cooler -->Skippy's New Fountain