Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Brand new pool needs some lanscape ASAP

1. Back To Top    #1

Brand new pool needs some lanscape ASAP

our new pool was just finished on Friday so now I have started the landscape around it(what a pain)...but my question is this...with all of the pool plumbing running around the pool, what kind of large plants are safe to plant? I mean, everywhere my wife wants to put a palm or large plant, there are lines underneath. I am just being paranoid about putting a king palm within 2' of the pool plumbing or am I justified in this concern? almost every pool I have ever seen has large plants near where i now know would be pool plumbing.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Pool Build Finished 08/21/15
    17x30 IG Gunite pool/7' spa with gray plaster filled with city water
    Pentair VS 3 hp (pool guy set to run from 0600-1400)
    Pentair 420
    Pentair 400k heater

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Brand new pool needs some lanscape ASAP

It would be smart to research a tree/plant's root structure to find out of it is aggressive or not. Also, consider the tree/plant's effect on your water since some items (certain male palms) will shed their palm fronds as well and cause havoc on your water and/or filter. Just a thought.
    Pat (a.k.a. Texas Splash) ~ My Pool: Viking Fiberglass; 17,888 Gal; Waterway Supreme 2-sp/2-hp pump; Hayward Ctg filter; TF-100 w/ Speed Stir
    Vital Links: POOL SCHOOL, RECOMMENDED LEVELS, RECOMMENDED CHEMICALS, Poolmath Calculator, SLAM, Chlorine/CYA CHART.
    If you enjoyed your TFP experience, please consider donating to Support TFP!

3. Back To Top    #3

Quote Originally Posted by Texas Splash View Post
    It would be smart to research a tree/plant's root structure to find out of it is aggressive or not. Also, consider the tree/plant's effect on your water since some items (certain male palms) will shed their palm fronds as well and cause havoc on your water and/or filter. Just a thought.
    copy that man...I will be sticking with plants with non-invasive roots...but even then, can I plant directly over the pool plumbing? Thanks
    Pentair 420
    Pentair 400k heater

4. Back To Top    #4

Nice pool, also saw your post on glamisdunes.

Are you planting between the block wall and pool? If so how much room between?

5. Back To Top    #5

Personally, I would probably try to avoid planting anything directly over any plumbing .... just in case. If it's a very small, low-lying plant that I don't mind tearing-up, okay. But if it's a tree or larger bush with a significant root structure, I don't want to exert more energy than already needed to get through perhaps 2ft of soil. To compromise, some people may use those large planters for some palms or bushes. At least you could move those if needed.
    Pat (a.k.a. Texas Splash) ~ My Pool: Viking Fiberglass; 17,888 Gal; Waterway Supreme 2-sp/2-hp pump; Hayward Ctg filter; TF-100 w/ Speed Stir
    Vital Links: POOL SCHOOL, RECOMMENDED LEVELS, RECOMMENDED CHEMICALS, Poolmath Calculator, SLAM, Chlorine/CYA CHART.
    If you enjoyed your TFP experience, please consider donating to Support TFP!

6. Back To Top    #6

Quote Originally Posted by 1herm4 View Post
    Nice pool, also saw your post on glamisdunes.

Are you planting between the block wall and pool? If so how much room between?
    Thanks man...GLAMISDUNES for life

Yes I will be planting in between the wall and deck...there will be 3 large trellises with a clilmber some sort to help block the view of my ugly neighbors house

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Texas Splash View Post
    Personally, I would probably try to avoid planting anything directly over any plumbing .... just in case. If it's a very small, low-lying plant that I don't mind tearing-up, okay. But if it's a tree or larger bush with a significant root structure, I don't want to exert more energy than already needed to get through perhaps 2ft of soil. To compromise, some people may use those large planters for some palms or bushes. At least you could move those if needed.
    I agree...my wife is stubborn tho

So then most people who dont know exactly where their plumbing is may plant over it, but since I know, I shouldnt...
    Pentair 420
    Pentair 400k heater

7. Back To Top    #7

<~ Duner here too...but Dumont .

I bought a house with a pool, we didn't know where the plumbing was running, there were 2 Mexican Fan Palms planted too close to the neighboring wall and we also didn't like them, so we removed them...they were both on top of the plumbing and we did break the lines during removal. The palms were about 5ft tall, so they hadn't crushed the pipes yet, but those suckers get big and heavy, so I imagine in the future it would have broken the pipes due to weight.

Sorry, I don't have suggestions on what to plant, we gutted the landscaping 2yrs ago and still haven't redone it. Nice pool, can't wait to see how you finish off the yard.
    Kristin in Henderson NV. Newly Renovated 07/2017, built 99/00, owned since 2012. 15k free form, IG Gunite, Barbados Blue Quartzscapes Plaster, Hayward Cartridge filter, Hayward variable speed pump, TF-100 Test Kit, Walnut Travertine deck & coping.