Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Bleach?

1. Back To Top    #1

Bleach?

I read in some threads that pool store shock is not recommend by the people on this forum. The shock at my pool store is 12.5% Sodium Hypochlorite. Another pool store sells 10.0% Sod. Hyp. The chemical company down the street sells "fresh pool chlorine" and its 12.5% Sod. Hyp. The grocery store sells bleach that is 8.5% Sod. Hyp. Other than price and concentration, what's the difference?

The chemical company has the best price. I didn't calculate the grocery store price on a =% basis, but they don't have enough on the shelf to make it worthwhile.

2. Back To Top    #2

In the Industry

Re: Bleach?

There is no difference aside of price and concentration, buy whichever is best for your situation based on price and convenience.

I don't know of anybody that doesn't like the higher concentrations, the issue is that typically "shock" refers to powdered chlorine, which contains calcium or CYA (or rarely lithium) to bind the chlorine to a powdered form. This adds unwanted extras, which is why we prefer liquid chlorine. So yes, feel free to buy sodium hypochlorite from any source you prefer.
    JD - 28' Round Above Ground Pool, 17,000 Gallons. Dual speed Jacuzzi pump with cartridge filter. Dual speed 1 HP pump, Hayward S210T sand filter
    Pool School - PoolMath - HIGHLY Recommended Test Kits

3. Back To Top    #3

Granular shock is not recommended because it add CYA to the pool. Any liquid chlorine 10%, shock 12% or bleach 6-8% is fine.
    TFP Moderator
    If TFP helped you or saved you money - Become a TFP Supporter! <--Click here
    2012 build and pics, 20k gal gunite, black onyx pebblesheen, OK flagstone, IntellifoVS, cart filter w/Pleatco, IC40 SWG, Solartouch, 5 12'x4' solar panels, HP50HA heat pump, 8mil solar cover, borates, TF-100 test kit, SONOS, Doheny's Discovery Robot, hot tub on bleach

4. Back To Top    #4

I'll use whichever is cheapest and available (Pool store liquid shock @ 10%, Wal-Mart "Great Value @ 8.25%, etc). I'm easy when it comes to bleach.
    Pat (a.k.a. Texas Splash) ~ My Pool: Viking Fiberglass; 17,888 Gal; Waterway Supreme 2-sp/2-hp pump; Hayward Ctg filter; TF-100 w/ Speed Stir
    Vital Links: POOL SCHOOL, RECOMMENDED LEVELS, RECOMMENDED CHEMICALS, Poolmath Calculator, SLAM, Chlorine/CYA CHART.
    If you enjoyed your TFP experience, please consider donating to Support TFP!

5. Back To Top    #5

Quote Originally Posted by Texas Splash View Post
    I'll use whichever is cheapest and available (Pool store liquid shock @ 10%, Wal-Mart "Great Value @ 8.25%, etc). I'm easy when it comes to bleach.
    +1
    This may help you figure out what is the best way to go.
    It will Calc the cost per Oz of Chiorine
    Chlorine Price Per Ounce Calculator
    IG Tear Drop, Dark Gray Gunite , 27,000 gallons -Age 50+-years, very old Hayward Split Egg Sand Filter with side mount Multi-port- Hayward SP2600VSP Pump- Hayward chlorine feed (not used since finding TFP) - Laars 315K BTU Oil heater- LoopLoc Safety cover- AquaBot RAPIDS 4WD- TF-100 Test Kit w/ Speedstir- 390 Gal Hot Springs Spa Envoy installed May 2017

6. Back To Top    #6

TFP Guide

Sometimes I buy the more concentrated, just because I don't have to add as much. 6 of one, half dozen of another.
    26' X 52" Intex Ultra Frame. Intex Sand Filter
    26' X 52 Intex Ultra Frame Install
    You can lead a horse to (clear) water, but you can't force him to swim in it!

7. Back To Top    #7

Price divided by number of ounces divided by percentage as a decimal (12.5% = 0.125) gives you the cost per ounce of hypochlorite. The lower number is the best deal. Given two equal costs/hypochlorite go with the more concentrated for convenience, provided you're going to use it soon.
    Joel - TFP Moderator - Minnesota - **Become a TFP Supporter!** Helpful Links: ABCs of Pool Water Chemistry - SLAM Procedure - Chlorine/CYA Chart
    40x20 Pool: 32K Gallons * Vinyl * Bleach Chlorination * Hayward S270T Sand Filter * Pentair SuperFlo 1 HP * Teledyne/Laars Heater * AquaVac Tigershark * TF-100 w/ SpeedStir
    Isolated Spa - 345 Gallons

8. Back To Top    #8

Link posted already
    8,400 gal Intex, 3K GPH pump, 16" sand filter, SWG CG-28669, TF100 test kit, speed stir, K-1766 Taylor salt test.

The corner stone of TFP
    Pool School - Chlorine / CYA Chart