Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Question for Texas Residents

1. Back To Top    #1

Question for Texas Residents

I was hoping to be able to go with a more budget option than gunite but was told this today:

You need Gunite. Texas climate plays a big role in our pools. Vinyl is not a good option here. Fiberglass isn't either. Too many issues can arise.

Do you think this is accurate?
    Started 5/31/16. 38'x23', 618 sqft., <14,000 gallons, 8' spa.Travertine coping. Raised beam w/3 sheers. Large sunshelf w/3 bubblers. SWG IC40, Pentair VSP, 520 cartridge, color LED lights, Easy-touch, screen logic, Maytronics S300i robot, and Wet Edge Prism Matrix finish (Deep Sea Blue with Indigo plaster). Build Thread: Another in Texas - Cypress Texas | MUD District | HOA Approval | Great Escapes Pools

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Question for Texas Residents

I don't understand that comment at all. I could see some concerns about the variety of soils in Texas (i.e. sand, clay, bedrock, etc), but not the climate. I elected to go fiberglass because my area has a lot of clay that tends to break-down and shift. Before that, I was very close to a getting large AG pool instead. But that was a stability issue, not climate. Fact is, it's HOT just about everywhere in TX, with a mixture of bitter cold in the winter (panhandle), but that's no different than many other places in the country. Sounds like someone is just trying to sell you a more expensive pool. Get what YOU want.
    Pat (a.k.a. Texas Splash) ~ My Pool: Viking Fiberglass; 17,888 Gal; Waterway Supreme 2-sp/2-hp pump; Hayward Ctg filter; TF-100 w/ Speed Stir
    Vital Links: POOL SCHOOL, RECOMMENDED LEVELS, RECOMMENDED CHEMICALS, Poolmath Calculator, SLAM, Chlorine/CYA CHART.
    If you enjoyed your TFP experience, please consider donating to Support TFP!

3. Back To Top    #3

Well, I hope that vinyl isn't a huge issue in Texas because my vinyl pool dig starts on Thursday.

4. Back To Top    #4

I have a vinyl IG pool and have a couple of friends with vinyl pools IG pools too. No problems with a vinyl pool here.
    Divin Dave,
    IG Vinyl, 15' x 30', 3 1/2' - 6' deep, Oval, ~15K gal, Intelliclor IC40, Intelliflo VS pump, Clean and Clear 420 Filter, auto-fill-disabled, Retrofit LED Color Light, Dolphin Nautilus Robot, TF100 Test Kit, Taylor K1766 Salt Test Kit, Tftestkit Pressure Gauge.
    www.tftestkits.net Experience- it's what's learned just after you needed it most !!

5. Back To Top    #5

Darn, I can't participate in this thread!!!
    ----Chris----
    25k IG/Spa Figure 8, 18x36, Pebble Sheen Blue Granite, Sta-Rite S8M150 Cartridge Filter, Pentair 460805 400k BTU Heater & 011018 IntelliFlo VarSpd
    Liquidator, Fafco Solar Heat, Polaris PB460 Booster Pump w/280 cleaner, Katchaleaf Cover, TF100 Test Kit, FAKE MAIN DRAIN

6. Back To Top    #6

Sounds to me like you are talking to a PB who only does gunite pools.
    TFP Moderator
    If TFP helped you or saved you money - Become a TFP Supporter! <--Click here
    2012 build and pics, 20k gal gunite, black onyx pebblesheen, OK flagstone, IntellifoVS, cart filter w/Pleatco, IC40 SWG, Solartouch, 5 12'x4' solar panels, HP50HA heat pump, 8mil solar cover, borates, TF-100 test kit, SONOS, Doheny's Discovery Robot, hot tub on bleach

7. Back To Top    #7

That's the thing... It wasn't a pool builder that said it. Just somebody that is in the pool business and shared 6 different pool builders names with me in the area. She works for a pool maintenance company I think. She said she had 20 years experience with pools and does everything but build them.

Quote Originally Posted by pooldv View Post
    Sounds to me like you are talking to a PB who only does gunite pools.

8. Back To Top    #8

Just seems odd though. I mean we have hundreds if not thousands of different pool-type owners in the state. I've never heard of anyone using climate as a reason to persuade purchasing one type pool lover another. Size perhaps (gallons), in relation to how warm a pool might get with a smaller body of water, but that's about all I can think of.
    Pat (a.k.a. Texas Splash) ~ My Pool: Viking Fiberglass; 17,888 Gal; Waterway Supreme 2-sp/2-hp pump; Hayward Ctg filter; TF-100 w/ Speed Stir
    Vital Links: POOL SCHOOL, RECOMMENDED LEVELS, RECOMMENDED CHEMICALS, Poolmath Calculator, SLAM, Chlorine/CYA CHART.
    If you enjoyed your TFP experience, please consider donating to Support TFP!

9. Back To Top    #9

Its true there are tons more gunite pools in Texas than there are IG vinyl pools, but there isnt any reason for it other than gunite is the perferred pool to build here, and so thats just what people do.

It should be noted however, that depending on specifically where the pool is to be built, that the soil conditions may not be good for a Vinyl pool, but thats true for any part of the country.
    Divin Dave,
    IG Vinyl, 15' x 30', 3 1/2' - 6' deep, Oval, ~15K gal, Intelliclor IC40, Intelliflo VS pump, Clean and Clear 420 Filter, auto-fill-disabled, Retrofit LED Color Light, Dolphin Nautilus Robot, TF100 Test Kit, Taylor K1766 Salt Test Kit, Tftestkit Pressure Gauge.
    www.tftestkits.net Experience- it's what's learned just after you needed it most !!

10. Back To Top    #10

Thanks for the input!
    Started 5/31/16. 38'x23', 618 sqft., <14,000 gallons, 8' spa.Travertine coping. Raised beam w/3 sheers. Large sunshelf w/3 bubblers. SWG IC40, Pentair VSP, 520 cartridge, color LED lights, Easy-touch, screen logic, Maytronics S300i robot, and Wet Edge Prism Matrix finish (Deep Sea Blue with Indigo plaster). Build Thread: Another in Texas - Cypress Texas | MUD District | HOA Approval | Great Escapes Pools